Word Stress for the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

Please let me know how to put the stress in the following names:

Landmark should be pronounced LANDmark, right?
Landmark East should be pronounce LANDmark east or LANDMARK EAST?

Superman should be pronounced SUPERman, right?
Superman Returns should be pronounced SUPERman reTURNS or SUPERMAN reTURNS?

I was wondering if word stress will be changed in different phrases / sentences....Any book you can suggest me to read it to learn about it?

W

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You would only stress the second syllable of a two-word compound if you were emphasizing a contrast: 'I saw superman, not superwoman'. In other cases, stress in on the first word, as you suggested.

b

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
You would only stress the second syllable of a two-word compound if you were emphasizing a contrast: 'I saw superman, not superwoman'. In other cases, stress in on the first word, as you suggested.

b

Thanks for the answer. But sometimes hear native speakers would say superman, superwoman, everyone, everybody....I mean first and second syllable are also stressed, is it possible in native world?

By the way, Bobk, I really want to learn more about word stress, like how to pronounce word stress correctly in the sentences, do you have any book with CD recommend to me? Thanks.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When the two parts of a compound word are both stressed, it would be nigh-on impossible to make both stresses exactly the same; one takes the primary stress (and the other, as you'd expect, takes the secondary stress). So I didn't really understand your OP - i just can't imagine a word with two equal stresses.

I'm afraid I don't know of any CD such as you're interested in - I wouldn't be surprised if someone else chimes in. ;-)

b

bds51

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Germany
Hello Williamwy,
Re: word stress changed in different phrases / sentences....Any books to read it to learn about it?

This is an area in which even very advanced students have problems because there is syllable stress, word stress, key word stress, sentence stress, and as BobK said, contrastive stress and most of them are closely linked with /to intonation and intuition i.e having a feeling for the language. There are books that discuss it but you want sth practical I expect. Please mail me and I'll see if I can help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.