[General] Conversation over the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cafedesjoursheureux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, I'm working as an assistant to Executive Director. So I often have to reach his partners by telephone. When the person answer, I say:

" Hello, I'm calling from ...company, Mr M.R would like to talk to you, could I transfer the call please? Thanks!".

I would like to know if it is too "word by word" from French ;-).. Or is there any better way to say it?
Thanks for your help
Cafe

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sounds fine to me. You could also omit any reference to yourself, and say 'This is <company>. I have a call for <whoever> from <whoever>.' But your version sounds OK (and I never won any prizes for telephone handling, so maybe you should wait for some other view ;-))

b

literacygal

Member Type
English Teacher
I would try: This is (your name)____ from Mr.Smith's office. Mr. Smith would like to speak to Mr. ______. Is he available to take this call?

I hope that helps you.

cafedesjoursheureux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Re: Phone handing

I would try: This is (your name)____ from Mr.Smith's office. Mr. Smith would like to speak to Mr. ______. Is he available to take this call?

I hope that helps you.

Tks so much, but I always call to mobile phone number of these "VIP" partners, so I should ask him directly: Hello, Mr Smith from ______ would like to speak to you. Please hold the line! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.