Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 337
    #1

    How long, or short, could a period be?

    Dear Teachers:

    I guess the answers may vary. I'd like to know your opinions.

    Many Thanks

    Richard

    PS: I guess I didn't make my question clear enough. I'd say I am fully aware this is a forum dedicated solely to help language learners. The question here is to what extent the word period may be used to describe the length of time. LOL.
    Last edited by cubezero3; 17-Mar-2010 at 10:43.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: How long, or short, could a period be?

    Quote Originally Posted by cubezero3 View Post
    Dear Teachers:

    I guess the answers may vary. I'd like to know your opinions.

    Many Thanks

    Richard
    Periods generally last for 2-7 days, once a month. Sometimes they are missed altogether.

    Maybe you mean a grammatical period? But if so, it's a strange question. Periods should generally be as long as they are high. This makes them round.

    Or ... maybe you could clarify.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 337
    #3

    Re: How long, or short, could a period be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Periods generally last for 2-7 days, once a month. Sometimes they are missed altogether.

    Maybe you mean a grammatical period? But if so, it's a strange question. Periods should generally be as long as they are high. This makes them round.

    Or ... maybe you could clarify.
    I didn't think of this when I posted it. LOL.

    I am not a native speaker and always have this feeling that period can only refer to what is more than one day. Is it right? It's not for me to make the judgement.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: How long, or short, could a period be?

    Quote Originally Posted by cubezero3 View Post
    I didn't think of this when I posted it. LOL.

    I am not a native speaker and always have this feeling that period can only refer to what is more than one day. Is it right? It's not for me to make the judgement.
    So, you want to know how long/short a "period of time" can be?
    There aren't any cut off points.
    You can have a period of 300 milliseconds or 300 million years.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,845
    #5

    Re: How long, or short, could a period be?

    In British English, a period can refer to a school lesson, so it can be shorter.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    #6

    Re: How long, or short, could a period be?

    not a teacher
    When you talk about geological time scale, a few million years is considered a short period.

Similar Threads

  1. Long & Short Sounds
    By Anne59 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2009, 15:30
  2. in a long time/ for a long time
    By sairashab in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2007, 05:54
  3. Long and short vowel
    By fxpost in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2004, 15:25
  4. short or long vowels
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2003, 00:26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •