Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
hi,

i'm always confused about which perfect tense should i choose when writing about something that happened in the past and continued until an unspecified time. For example,

'Since the 1980s, the number of Clientele users has/had grown from a mere 1000 to a remarkable 1 billion.' And let's say that we don't know for how long will this number continue to grow.

From what i know that both perfect tenses represent the fact that the actions took place from the past and might or might not continue at present.

Can someone please clarify this?

Thanks

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
present perfect tense or continuous

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
you can use either present perfect or continuous in your sentence

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
hi,

i'm always confused about which perfect tense should i choose when writing about something that happened in the past and continued until an unspecified time. For example,

'Since the 1980s, the number of Clientele users has/had grown from a mere 1000 to a remarkable 1 billion.' And let's say that we don't know for how long will this number continue to grow.

From what i know that both perfect tenses represent the fact that the actions took place from the past and might or might not continue at present.

Thanks
'Since the 1980s, the number of Clientele users has/had grown from a mere 1000 to a remarkable 1 billion.'
The only possible auxilliary in this sentence is "has", "had" is wrong and present perfect continuous would not be appropriate here.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
hi,

Thanks

Not exactly.
The Present Perfect Tense denotes the actions that have started in the past and are still going on or have just finished.

The Past Perfect Tense denotes the actions that started and finished in the past before another past action.

Status
Not open for further replies.