Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Interaction" the new Fifth Skill

Please help. I am back in the industry after a 10 year break and have missed the addition of "Interaction" as the Fifth skill of the classic "4 skills". I am writing a curriculum but can't find anything on the internet to explain to me what this new "Interaction" skill is about. Could someone please guide me? Many thanks, dazzle

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: "Interaction" the new Fifth Skill

Quote Originally Posted by dazzle View Post
    Please help. I am back in the industry after a 10 year break and have missed the addition of "Interaction" as the Fifth skill of the classic "4 skills". I am writing a curriculum but can't find anything on the internet to explain to me what this new "Interaction" skill is about. Could someone please guide me? Many thanks, dazzle
    Interaction is added in the written and oral production parts. In writing, if the production part is narrating some experience, or expressing opinion, for example, the interaction will be answering to an e-mail, letter, a provided advert..
    Orally, and what I know from exams, there are two parts, the monologue, where the student is required to give a small talk on his/her own about a particular topic and the dialogue (interaction) where two students would act out a situation, discuss a topic together, look for a solution to a problem...

I hope that helps

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Isn't interaction simply a combination of passive and active skills- listening and speaking, say. I think there's an argument to say that thinking could be a fifth skill, but interaction strikes me as an unnecessary and rather pointless addition to the list, even if it includes body language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

This is new to me. What are the first four, please?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Well, I don't know if this addition is actually very helpful, but interaction implies what I explained in the other post. In the frame of the communicative approach, it would be more "realistic" to teach students to be able to interact in real life contexts than ask them to write or speak about something they're not going to use in the future.

The four skills are: speaking also called oral production and interaction, reading or oral comprehension, writing or oral production and interaction and listening or oral comprehension.

xxx

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Then the communicative approach frame is simply wrong to me; interaction is not just active or productive language- if you don't listen, you're unlikely to be very good at interaction. Interaction is a combination of skills. We are interacting here - I read your post and am replying - it takes both skills for there to be any genuine interaction.

Without passive or receptive skills, interaction is limited to things like giving orders, and even then it helps to know if the other person has understood and will comply. The only way I can think to make it a legitimate fifth skill would be to look at the social and cultural aspects. Simply sticking it on the end of two of the skills a) doesn't make it a fifth skill and b) is wrong, especially from people who are trying to approach language as communication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Then the communicative approach frame is simply wrong to me; interaction is not just active or productive language- if you don't listen, you're unlikely to be very good at interaction. Interaction is a combination of skills. We are interacting here - I read your post and am replying - it takes both skills for there to be any genuine interaction.

Without passive or receptive skills, interaction is limited to things like giving orders, and even then it helps to know if the other person has understood and will comply. The only way I can think to make it a legitimate fifth skill would be to look at the social and cultural aspects. Simply sticking it on the end of two of the skills a) doesn't make it a fifth skill and b) is wrong, especially from people who are trying to approach language as communication.
    I couldn't agree more, I was just explaining the theory behind it. I guess it refers to the structure of the tests and the way lessons are planned, so that they are based on real life situations making them as meaningful as possible, knowing that it's an artificial context, of course. As for the fifth skill...I presume they had to call it somehow.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

In that case, maybe we should get to work on thinking up the sixth skill.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you for the explanation.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    In that case, maybe we should get to work on thinking up the sixth skill.
    I suppose if there is any part of language that isn't interaction, that should be the sixth skill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast