Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
You say phrasal verbs can stand alone, so I asked what your definition of phrasal verb was. Of course it's a genuine question; you are making a statement about phrasal verbs that is patently wrong.

Tell me which of my statements about phrasal verbs is patently wrong, please.

Your example of 'passed away' has nothing to do with whether a verb is catenative or not; it's simply an intransitive phrasal verb and doesn't prove anything either way.

You still fail to grasp my point. Again :-|, what I was trying to say in the first place was that catenatives always take a verbal that they help in a certain way, aspectually, or otherwise. Phrsasal verbs never (and never is the operative word) take a verbal that they help, and this is part of my definition for a phrasal verb.

This viewpoint is debatable:
Many would have given up. However, I kept on. :tick: For that matter, you could get rid of 'However'

What is not debatable in this world, dear Richard?
I kept on. :tick:

There is an understood verbal following the catenative. I do not know of any pvs with which there is an understood verbal.

Is this catenative?
I kept on to the end.

Yes, it is, in my opinion, because there is an implied verbal which we can derive from the linguistic or extralinguistic context.

If I say out of the blue 'I kept on', is it a complete idea, IYO?

Last edited:

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Students Grammar of the English Language by Sidney Greenbaum and Randolph Quirk, p. 40, 3.18., Modal idioms and semi-auxiliaries:

Like auxiliaries - in having meanings similar to those for the aspectual and modal auxiliaries - are the catenatives, such as appear to, happen to, seem to. Some catenatives are followed by -ing or -ed participles rather than by infinitives:
start (working), go on (talking), keep (on) (smoking), get (trapped).

I guess your definition for a pv allows some catenatives to belong to pvs, Richard.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If I say out of the blue 'I kept on', is it a complete idea, IYO?

I can't see that this proves anything. 'Keep on' = continue and a semantic and syntactic unit IMO, putting a subject on means that more is required, that's all. So, how would you define 'give up'? 'I gave up' is not a complete idea either- are you arguing that this is also not a phrasal verb? Is it a catenative because you can imply a verb - gave up [smoking] cigarettes? The argument that it's not a phrasal verb because it can't stand alone doesn't hold water for me. It's not a test for a phrasal verb IMO.

According to you:
Definition from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus = :cross:
go - Definitions available for go from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus = :cross:
Definition from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus = :?:

In my original post, I asked for your definition of phrasal verb, and I will go back to that- how are you defining phrasal verb? I can't see anything in this bunch for starters that excludes 'keep on'.

What is a phrasal verb?
phrasal verb - Definition of phrasal verb noun from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus
Purdue OWL
Phrasal verb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AskOxford: phrasal verb
phrasal verb - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education
phrasal verb definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

PS Before you start on my sources, I have just moved country and my books haven't arrived yet.

Last edited:

whitemoon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
This is my interpretation:

'keep on' in the sentence is not a phrasal verb. Phrasal verbs can stand alone, 'keep on' can't.

My friend passed away yesterday. :tick:
I keep on tomorrow. :cross:

'keep on' is a catenative verb, which is a functional category of verbs hovering between two camps: one is the auxiliary verbs and the other is the main verbs. 'going' in the sentence is the main verb.

He kept on going. = SV

'keep on' means 'to continue (doing something or moving)
It can stand alone as in the following example.
They kept on until they came to a petrol station.

whitemoon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
What do you mean by 'why'? I'm not sure what you want to know... Do you want somebody to compare their coming to life processes?

What I mean is:
keep on = continue
carry on = continue
but
walk on = continue walking
consider on = continue considering
read on = continue reading

Why aren't they the same?

The last three should be:
walk on = continue
consider on = continue
read on = continue

OR

The first two shoule be:
keep on = continue keeping
carry on = continue carrying

They should be the same.
Can you explain why they aren't the same please?
Thank you very much.
Being a non-native speaker, I have many problems in learning English, especially when I explain it to the students.
May you be healthy, happy and wealthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.