[General] Other pronunciation of "Happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

I am watching the UK TV Programme called "Peep Show", I always hear one of actor pronounces "Happen" as "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]hæp[FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]",in my daily life I just pronounce "Happen" as"[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]hæp[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ə[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]". Cos I really want to learn more about the native speaker's spoken english habbit, so I want to know which pronunciation is more common "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]hæp[FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]" or "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]hæp[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ə[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]"? Also is it all english words with "en" at the end, we can ignore the sound of "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ə[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]", just pronounce the sound of "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]"? Please advise.

W

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are many regional variations- you'll hear it said with a silent h too. I'd say it's more common with the schwa.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everybody,

I am watching the UK TV Programme called "Peep Show", I always hear one of actor pronounces "Happen" as "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]hæp[FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]",in my daily life I just pronounce "Happen" as"[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]hæp[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ə[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]". Cos I really want to learn more about the native speaker's spoken english habbit, so I want to know which pronunciation is more common "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]hæp[FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]" or "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]hæp[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ə[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]"? Also is it all english words with "en" at the end, we can ignore the sound of "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ə[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]", just pronounce the sound of "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]"? Please advise.

W
Can you even say 'happen' without some form of vocalisation between them?
In words such as 'apnea', it's possible because the /p/ is not released. You can say 'happening' (happnin') this way, but 'happen'?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
In phonetics classes, I could rarely tell the difference between 'syllabic /n/' or 'syllabic /l/' and the ones with schwa. I think the difference is tiny. There is a diacritic for a syllabic consonant, and it does exist in English - /n/ and /l/ at the end of words - but, the difference between it and schwa followed by /n/ and /l/... I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.