Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, just a quick question to other ESL teachers here.

Do you generally teach "to talk to" or "to talk with"? Most of my students have picked up a lot of their English from American TV, films or visits to the USA and consequently seem to say "talk with" a lot.

As a British English native speaker, I use "to talk to" (although I frequently explain the expression "The company is in talks with various manufacturers....")

Do you see talk to/with as a British/American difference? I generally teach both but am currently working on an exercise using prepositions and I really only want one possible correct answer for each question.

Thanks.

Neillythere

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi emsr2d2

As an NES, but not a teacher, I would personnaly use:

"talk to" in a case where I did most of the talking, as in: "I'll have to talk to him (a naughty child) about it.

"talk with" where I needed to discuss something with the other person.

It's just my way, teachers may have a different view.

Hope this helps

Regards
NT

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I generally teach both but am currently working on an exercise using prepositions and I really only want one possible correct answer for each question.

Thanks.
I say both.
If you want to set questions with only one answer, why not avoid verbs like 'talk' that you know have more than one answer?

ltsang

Member Type
Student or Learner
It depends on what you are trying to use. Like for example I want to talk to my teacher tomorrow about a grade at school. I want to talk with a student about my grade.

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
I was taught to say 'talk to', and that 'talk with' is an informal usage.
However I have noticed that only 'with' is used when talk is used as a noun as in the example above (talks with manufacturers) or I'd like to have a talk with you.

I'm not a native. I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.