Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
what is the difference between "egg bread" and "brioche bread"???

The context:

"This is Challah. It's an "egg bread" that's been braided. It's sort of a traditional jewish bread but you can use any kind of egg bread or broiche bread that comes in a loaf"

First: The diffference between "egg bread" and "brioche bread"???
Second" Aren't all kinds of bread come in a loaf and we always say " a loaf" of bread??? I can't get her point.

Thanks a lot.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
"Eggy Bread"/French Toast/ Poor Knights is possibly one of the oldest recipes, going back at least till Roman days. It involves slices of bread, preferably a day old, soaked in a mixture of egg and milk, and fried in butter, served with a sprinkling of sugar. It is nothing to do with breads made with eggs which in texture are closer to cakes than yeast-raised breads.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
So we can say the the main difference between the egg-bread and the brociore is that the first is like a (french toast) and the other is is a yiest - raising bed?

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks for your time, but REALLY I got lost and those recipes are very similar, I need to translate them into Arabic and so fat I can't put ma hand on the main difference between them.!!! I just wanna repplce them with two equivalents in Arabic. (If we can't have Challah, so any egg bread or brociore bread)!!!!! Challah is famous, so no problem, and the rest. I feel so dissapointed. I can't understand anything.Thanks a lot for your time and effort though. :( :oops:

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
I do understand your problem. Look at the recipes for Greek Easter Bread or Brioche - they are similar in type.Are there any Arab breads made in a similar way? If so, use that.

Bread in itself is an enormous topic and the chef concerned should have been clearer in his instructions.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
challah: Definition from Answers.com

chgallah = a loaf of yeast-leavened egg bread, usually braided, traditionally eaten by Jews on the Sabbath, holidays, and other ceremonial occasions.

And yet, there is a pretty tangible difference between “classical egg bread” and “yeast-leavened egg bread” in my country which is more than 1300 years old.

V.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
what is the difference between "egg bread" and "brioche bread"???

The context:

"This is Challah. It's an "egg bread" that's been braided. It's sort of a traditional jewish bread but you can use any kind of egg bread or broiche bread that comes in a loaf"

First: The diffference between "egg bread" and "brioche bread"???
Second" Aren't all kinds of bread come in a loaf and we always say " a loaf" of bread??? I can't get her point.

Thanks a lot.

To go back to the start. these breads "egg breads" are known as "enriched breads". They contain extra fats [butter or oil] and eggs which is what gives them their particular texture. Clearly there is a recipe being discussed in which this kind of brezd should be used. It must need slices which is why the chef talks about needing it in loaf form.

Your questions are interesting and lead into some fascinating research, but you may find it better to put them on forums devoted to cookery: cookery forums - Google Search

Status
Not open for further replies.