Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
In the sentence "The dog kept barking", how to describe the words "kept" and "barking" ? "Kept" is past tense, but what about "barking" ?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

'Barking' is in progressive/continuous form.

'Kept' is a catenative verb, and these verbs are always followed by either the 'to infinitive', past participle, or progressive/continous form. Not all of them can take all these forms.

When a verb phrase has more than one verb, the only the first verb in the phrase takes the tense marking. The other verbs are finite - no tense.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the sentence "The dog kept barking", how to describe the words "kept" and "barking" ? "Kept" is past tense, but what about "barking" ?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning.

(1) Thank you for your great question. I learned so much in researching this topic.

(2) It seems that the experts do not agree about how to analyze this kind of sentence.

(3) I shall tell you what I discovered. Then you can decide what you wish to believe.

(a) Many experts say that keep/ keep on is for "informal" use. So you might want to avoid it if you are writing something serious.

(b) Some experts explain that the verb "keep" in this sentence is something like an auxiliary (they use the term "quasi-auxiliary"). In other words, they say the verb "keep" in this sentence is something like "to be."

(i) He was walking./ He kept walking. ("kept" is better in giving you the feeling that it was a continuous action.)

(ii) So in the sentence, you could identify "walking" as a present participle or simply an -ing word.

(c) Some experts, however, believe that "keep" or "keep on" is followed by a gerund (an -ing word used as a noun).

(i) So they would say that your sentence = the dog + kept + barking (gerund).

Have a nice day!

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(c) Some experts, however, believe that "keep" or "keep on" is followed by a gerund (an -ing word used as a noun).

(i) So they would say that your sentence = the dog + kept + barking (gerund).

Have a nice day!

I agree with The Perser on this point. All dictionaries agree that the verb Keep and the phrasal verb keep on means the same=To continue to do. Both are followed by ‘ing’ form of verb as:
I decided to keep working on the project.
They kept guessing till the matter was clarified.
If you keep on shouting they'll ask you to leave.
He kept on talking.

Of course there is difference of opinion as to whether the ‘ing’ form is a present participle or gerund. I personally feel that it should be gerund.

Status
Not open for further replies.