Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Present Continuous versus Present Simple

    There are a couple of very simple sentences but I still have a doubt about the correct usage of the tense :

    1. One shouldnt drink when one drives/is driving.
    2. She always tries /is tryig a little too hard to make people like her.
    3. I have an appointment with your boss . Where do i go in/ am I goig in ?
    4. What do we do now? / are we doing now?she asked as they reached the street
    5. Where do we go/are we going from here ?

    I will be realy happy if you could explaine the tense usage in the examples above.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 312
    #2

    Re: Present Continuous versus Present Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by astaf View Post
    There are a couple of very simple sentences but I still have a doubt about the correct usage of the tense :

    1. One shouldn't drink when one drives/is driving.
    2. She always tries /is tryig a little too hard to make people like her.
    3. I have an appointment with your boss . Where do i go in/ am I goig in ?
    4. What do we do now? / are we doing now?she asked as they reached the street It makes no sense to me)
    5. Where do we go/are we going from here ? (It makes no sense to me)

    I will be realy happy if you could explaine the tense usage in the examples above.
    What is happening at the moment is present continuous.
    What is always happening is present simple(habits - facts)

  2. #3

    Re: Present Continuous versus Present Simple

    According to the grammer book the correct variants are :

    1 . One shouldn't drink when one drives/is driving. - I am a bit puzzled here . The only idea that I have in mind is that the process is emphasized here
    2. She always tries /is tryig a little too hard to make people like her. - I suppose that in this case the speaker disapproves of the way she behaves and finds it a bit irritating

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: Present Continuous versus Present Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by astaf View Post
    According to the grammer book the correct variants are :

    1 . One shouldn't drink when one drives/is driving. - I am a bit puzzled here . The only idea that I have in mind is that the process is emphasized here
    2. She always tries /is tryig a little too hard to make people like her. - I suppose that in this case the speaker disapproves of the way she behaves and finds it a bit irritating
    You could use either for 1.
    For 2. only "tries" is right, unless you have copied it incorrectly.
    With "trying", we would say "She is always trying too hard", not "She always is trying too hard." Besides, "tries" is much more common.

    Who wrote your grammar book?

  4. #5

    Re: Present Continuous versus Present Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You could use either for 1.
    For 2. only "tries" is right, unless you have copied it incorrectly.
    With "trying", we would say "She is always trying too hard", not "She always is trying too hard." Besides, "tries" is much more common.

    Who wrote your grammar book?
    thanks for your help . Surely I copied it incorrectly , the correct version reads : She always is trying too hard .

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #6

    Re: Present Continuous versus Present Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by astaf View Post
    thanks for your help . Surely I copied it incorrectly , the correct version reads : She always is trying too hard .
    "She always is trying too hard." This is not natural English.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Pls help with simple present & present continuous
    By Kashma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2008, 03:24
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2008, 05:20
  3. Present simple or continuous?
    By adry_ral in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-Jan-2008, 01:00
  4. simple present and present continuous
    By Anonymous in forum Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2005, 14:32
  5. simple present and present simple continuous
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2002, 20:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •