Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The mother speaks about her youngest and the most grown up of her 3 daughters saying "she acts like parents. She thinks that I don't follow through on punishment"

What is the meaning of "I don't follow through on punishment"?
I got it as she means "I don't use deterring means of punishment." Is that right? or what she means?

Thanks.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The mother speaks about her youngest and the most grown up of her 3 daughters saying "she acts like parents. She thinks that I don't follow through on punishment"

What is the meaning of "I don't follow through on punishment"?
I got it as she means "I don't use deterring means of punishment." Is that right? or what she means?

Thanks.

*****NOT A TEACHER*****

Good morning.

(1) I believe that "not to follow through" usually means that you don't actually do what you said you would do.

(2) Let's say your childrem were naughty. You might say, "OK. No television for one week."

(a) But if you see that your children are very sad, then you might say,"OK. It's been only two days. But I will let you watch TV again starting today if you promise to be good next time." Of course, your children will agree.

(b) A week later, they are naughty again. You say, "OK. No dessert for one week." Your children will not be afraid, because they know that you never follow through on punishment. They know that your determination will weaken in one or two days and that soon they will again be enjoying cake and ice cream!!!

Thank you.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
WOW! can't thank you enough!:up: (you never do what you threaten to do)

Thanks.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status