Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Hello everybody,
how I can improve my ability to understand the fast spelling?
For example I have difficult to write immediately the correct spelling for one name if my interlocutor speak very fast.
I` m a receptionist and for me is very important understanding immediately specially through the phone.
I do not have any problem if I need to spell one word.
Any suggestion?

tangoku

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
I didn't find any exercise for this:-(

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

tangoku

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your reply I will do this exercise immediately.:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Also, do be shy about asking people to spell their names- English speakers are often asked this because the spelling is so irregular.

tangoku

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Also, do be shy about asking people to spell their names- English speakers are often asked this because the spelling is so irregular.
actually this is my problem as well. Sometimes I think I'm so stupid, and I'm scared because Irish people have very strong accent even if I ask them for the second time:-(

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
actually this is my problem as well. Sometimes I think I'm so stupid, and I'm scared because Irish people have very strong accent even if I ask them for the second time:-(

Don't be..just ask them to repeat, they should understand. If you're currently living there you'll probably get used to the accent soon because you're already training your ear.

tangoku

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Don't be..just ask them to repeat, they should understand. If you're currently living there you'll probably get used to the accent soon because you're already training your ear.
I`m working like a night porter -sometimes receptionist during the morning, and when I need to work with a long queue(check in) in front of me and in the same time the phone ringing is very difficult for me understanding properly the spelling specially with the wovels.
If for example the guest name is AOIFE(irish name) (pronunciation IVA) for me is a nightmare to understand:shocked!:.
I did your first exercise was very helpful.
If you have more would be grate. I googled but I found only few in different website. Anyway thank you so much for your help( tell me please, if you have time what kind of mistake I made with the grammar in this post.)

clevercells

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
It's just a matter of listening, the more you practice the better you will become.
you can ask people to spell their names sometimes, after all we are only human.

tangoku

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
@MASM
thank you so much for your links. I tried to reply on you in private but I cannot write message in here.
Anyway thanks a lot to everybody.

clevercells

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
You should make your ears well trained to recognize the words, training them can be done via listening exercices frequently untill it becomes a habit for you to spell the words naturally without much difficulty.
We have two ears but only one mouth which means we are supposed to listen more than we talk.
But if you can listen while reading just to understand exactly what is spoken it can help more.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangoku

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
You should make your ears well trained to recognize the words, training them can be done via listening exercices frequently untill it becomes a habit for you to spell the words naturally without much difficulty.
We have two ears but only one mouth which means we are supposed to listen more than we talk.
But if you can listen while reading just to understand exactly what is spoken it can help more.

Happy listening :)
Thank you I will try

Last edited by a moderator:

clevercells

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
@Tangoku
You are welcome.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
@MASM
thank you so much for your links. I tried to reply on you in private but I cannot write message in here.
Anyway thanks a lot to everybody.

You're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.