• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Regarding a right use of a word.

Sentence: "Painful to see excellent columnist like him doing acts of fifth columns/fifth columnist in the name of freedom of expression"

My question/doubt: What would be the right choice of word in the above sentence, fifth columns or fifth columnist ?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Regarding a right use of a word.

Hi Razer,
    I'm sorry to say that I don't understand the sentence at all, nor what the fifth column refers to. Is that a common expression where you are? Is there more context you can provide for me?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Context: General discussion, exchanges of views between friends. My friend refers to some newspaper columnist (whom I don't want to mention for some reasons ) who is being accused by his fans of changing his ideological views and support to opposite groups, subtly, through his articles. In reply to him I wanted to say the above sentence so was asking the right word for this sentence.

Meaning of fifth column: A subversive group that supports the enemy and engages in espionage or sabotage; an enemy in your midst

Meaning of fifth columnist: A member of a clandestine subversive organization who tries to help a potential invader

PS: I thought sentence would do without context. So didn't give it. Though I've provided it now but I still feel he same.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Either "acting like a fifth columnist", or "writing like a fifth columnist" or "acting (writing) like a member of the fifth column".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Okay, thanks for the context. I"m not familiar with this term.

It's painful to see an excellent columnist like him writing like a fifth columnist in the name of freedom of expression.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Quote Originally Posted by razer View Post
    Context: General discussion, exchanges of views between friends. My friend refers to some newspaper columnist (whom I don't want to mention for some reasons ) who is being accused by his fans of changing his ideological views and support to opposite groups, subtly, through his articles. In reply to him I wanted to say the above sentence so was asking the right word for this sentence.

Meaning of fifth column: A subversive group that supports the enemy and engages in espionage or sabotage; an enemy in your midst

Meaning of fifth columnist: A member of a clandestine subversive organization who tries to help a potential invader

PS: I thought sentence would do without context. So didn't give it. Though I've provided it now but I still feel he same.
    The expression "fifth columnist" is not a usage with which I am familiar. I would suggest you stick with "member of a fifth column." Otherwise it might sound as though you are referring to a newspaper columnist (which, in fact, seems to be the profession of your protagonist.)

Going back to your original sentence, I would say, "It is painful to see an excellent columnist like him doing acts of supporting a fifth columns/fifth columnist in the name of freedom of expression."

But it is possible that I don't fully understand what you mean to say here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The terms are as Razer has defined them. In the U.S. they were used frequently during World War II.

Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    The terms are as Razer has defined them. In the U.S. they were used frequently during World War II.
    That is most interesting. I didn't know that. But wouldn't you want to avoid the use of "columnist" (each with a different meaning) twice in the same sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Would it be wrong to say that a person is a fifth column without '-ist'? We say that in Polish and don't care much about logic (we can always call it a pars pro toto or anything else ). Does it sound wrong to your ears?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

mmasny:The "ist" suffix refers to a person who either practices or subscribes, for example, to some doctrine, political belief or philosophy, and therefore, referring to a person as a "fifth column" would not be correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast