Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. beachboy's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 844
    #1

    it

    What time is it now?
    What day is today?
    Is it wrong to ask What day is it today? Why?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #2

    Re: it

    I think that both What day is today? and
    What day is it today? are correct grammatically. But the latter is less used.

    In the first, 'today' is a noun, and in the second, it's an adverb in my opinion. I'd love to hear from natives too.

    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    #3

    Re: it

    I would prefer the second sentence actually.

    What day is it today? Is it Monday?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #4

    Re: it

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    I would prefer the second sentence actually.
    So would I, because it copies the Polish phrase. But take a look at these:
    "What day is today?" - Google Search

    "What day is it today?" - Google Search

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: it

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    I think that both What day is today? and
    What day is it today? are correct grammatically. But the latter is less used.

    In the first, 'today' is a noun, and in the second, it's an adverb in my opinion [But not in mine. ]. I'd love to hear from natives too.

    I am not a teacher.
    To my ear the first is just wrong.

    Tomorrow is the day after today => It is the day after today

    So

    What day is it the day after today? => What day is it tomorrow?

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #6

    Re: it

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    To my ear the first is just wrong.

    Tomorrow is the day after today => It is the day after today

    So

    What day is it tomorrow?

    b
    Thanks, BobK. I was actually surprised by the google hits I found, but I thought they had to be right. I thought I liked the second phrase because it's Polish-like and after thinking for a while I see it's not We're more likely to say the first.

    So do you think google is wrong again? (it seems it's never right :-/)

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: it

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Thanks, BobK. I was actually surprised by the google hits I found, but I thought they had to be right. I thought I liked the second phrase because it's Polish-like and after thinking for a while I see it's not We're more likely to say the first.

    So do you think google is wrong again? (it's seems it's never right :-/)
    Hmm. Those hits made me think If the expected answer is a day or date, I'd expect 'it'. But sometimes the question doesn't expect that answer:

    What day is it tomorrow? [Is it Tuesday or Wednesday/ 23rd or 24th]

    But

    Q What day is tomorrow?
    A Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life/the day we start putting this right....


    (That doesn't answer the Google question; it's just a thought. Arguments both for and against Google as a corpus tool are fairly easy to come up with, and I don't plan to rehearse them here. )

    b

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •