Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Do you know any program that would help me understand the IPA alphabet? I tried Sephonics, because it was free, but it has only English sounds and very bad pronunciation in my opinion.
It would be best if it could read any given word aloud as normal speech synthesizers do (probably better as it would have less ambiguity problems). And of course price also matters.

PS: I wanted to post it on pronunciation forum; I have no idea why it ended up here. Could moderators move it?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It seems it doesn't like WinXP :-? Both available versions don't want to work... It looks fine though.

It works for me with XP. What browser are you using? I use Firefox. I've tried it successfully on IE - it took about a minute to open, but that's par for the course with IE ;-)

b

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I use Firefox too. The download is OK, the installation process ends with an error though.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I use Firefox too. The download is OK, the installation process ends with an error though.
I didn't get that far. But this isn't a problem anyone here can deal with. Send a mail to their webmaster.

b

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I didn't get that far. But this isn't a problem anyone here can deal with. Send a mail to their webmaster.

b
I will. But it wasn't the original question, which remains unanswered ;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I will. But it wasn't the original question, which remains unanswered ;-)

Sorry - doh. Best I could would be to start a new thread there and append all these to it - not very satisfactory. I'll ask one of the Administrators. ;-)

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What exactly do ou want the software to do? Read the word aloud and transcribe it?

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What exactly do ou want the software to do? Read the word aloud and transcribe it?
I'd certainly like it to do both these things, but what I want most is a program that given a string of IPA (best not only English) signs would read it aloud. Transcription would be great too, but it's not that much needed as I can find it in dictionaries.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Brilliant! Choral singing can sometimes be a trial because of the constant need to put people right on pronunciation - false liaisons are the worst! Anyone would think that, in the first line of the Cantique de Jean Racine, au très haut meant 'with thirteen waters'. ;-)

b
For non francophones, au très haut doesn't sound like aux treize eaux.

Status
Not open for further replies.