Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
She´s not going to work today
She isn´t going to work today
She´s not gonna work today
She isn´t gonna work today
Which one of these sentences is more common in conversations? What does it depend on? Age? Where one is from? Does the same go for sentences in the affirmative and interrogative?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
She´s not going to work today
She isn´t going to work today
She´s not gonna work today
She isn´t gonna work today
Which one of these sentences is more common in conversations? What does it depend on? Age? Where one is from? Does the same go for sentences in the affirmative and interrogative?

The first two are common and mean the same thing.
The last two are not so much different phrases as they are a simple slurring of the sounds.

However, the first two are in fact more ambiguous. They could mean that she is not going to place of work (e.g., and office) or they could mean that she is not going to work, whether she goes to a work place or not.

If you slur it into "gonna" you are clearly saying she's not going to do any work. If your meaning is that she's not going to her place of work you would pronounce "going" clearly.

Of course, if that is your meaning it's better to avoid the confusion altogether:
She is not going to go to work today. (Or, if you like to slur your words, "She's not gonna go to work today.")

I hope I haven't overly complicated a simple issue!

And yes, this should apply to the affirmative as well as the negative. As for the age issue, I don't know. It may have more to do with level of education. It may have to do with the situation -- or the person with whom you're speaking.

But I'm not gonna go there!*

* An increasingly common expression in the U.S. which means "That's too hot of an issue for me to touch" or "I'll just leave that topic alone."

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I´ve chosen the wrong verb, because of this ambiguity. I should´ve chosen any other. I was just wondering which was the most common way to say it in English:
she isn´t gonna/going to do it, or she´s not gonna/going to do it.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I´ve chosen the wrong verb, because of this ambiguity. I should´ve chosen any other. I was just wondering which was the most common way to say it in English:
"She's not..."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd say 'isn't' is, at least where I come from. But both are equally correct.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
In my opinion "She's not going to..." is better, because the not belongs more to the going to, or better said: It highlights the going to well.
She's not going to work today.

I would rather use isn't in such a sentence:
She isn't nice.
She isn't here.

However, I guess it's everyone's own opinion.
(Both should be equally correct as already said.)

P.S: I would not use gonna for written English.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.