Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    have

    "I'm sending you the package by mail. Please send me a confirmation that you have received it."

    I think "have" is a must in the above sentence. Would you agree?

    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #2

    Exclamation Re: have

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "I'm sending you the package by mail. Please send me a confirmation that you have received it."

    I think "have" is a must in the above sentence. Would you agree?

    Thanks.
    Yes. The clause 'that you have received it' is a noun clause complementing the object ‘confirmation’

  1. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #3

    Re: have

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Yes. The clause 'that you have received it' is a noun clause complementing the object ‘confirmation’
    Why did you say a noun clause?
    Isn't it an adjective clause?
    Please send me a confirmation (in which you write) that you have received it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #4

    Exclamation Re: have

    Quote Originally Posted by whitemoon View Post
    Why did you say a noun clause?
    Isn't it an adjective clause?
    Please send me a confirmation (in which you write) that you have received it.
    Because, “You have received it” is an independent clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’. It does the function of a noun and a noun can be an object complement, as explained below:
    You can call him a scoundrel.
    The word "scoundrel" is an object complement
    that describes the direct object "him
    You can call him what you wish.
    The noun clause "what you wish" can take the place
    of "scoundrel" as object complement.

  2. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #5

    Re: have

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Because, “You have received it” is an independent clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’. It does the function of a noun and a noun can be an object complement, as explained below:
    You can call him a scoundrel.
    The word "scoundrel" is an object complement
    that describes the direct object "him
    You can call him what you wish.
    The noun clause "what you wish" can take the place
    of "scoundrel" as object complement.
    It does not explain anything, in my opinion. It bears no relevance to whitemoon's question, whatsoever. Sorry to say that.

  3. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #6

    Re: have

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Because, “You have received it” is an independent clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’ (If "that" is a relative pronoun, there must be a noun which is referred to by "that". If it is a noun clause, "that" is called "noun clause marker".) It does the function of a noun and a noun can be an object complement, as explained below:
    You can call him a scoundrel.
    The word "scoundrel" is an object complement
    that describes the direct object "him
    You can call him what you wish.
    The noun clause "what you wish" can take the place
    of "scoundrel" as object complement.
    I have already known the funcitions of an object complement very well.

    According to you explanation, there is no noun which is refered to by "what" before "what you wish". That shows "what you wish" is surely a noun clause.

    However, in the sentence we're discussing, there is a noun (a confirmation) which is refered to by "that" before "that you have received it". That doesn't show "that you have received it" is surely a noun clause.

    Noun clauses perform the same functions in the sentence which nouns do, I have already known, but I have never heard it can function as an objective complement.

    Have a good time!

  4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #7

    Re: have

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Because, “You have received it” is an independent clause
    It is not an independent clause in the sentence, Sarat. 'that' is a subordinator in the sentence. But does it matter? Where do you want to get with this? Irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Yes. The clause 'that you have received it' is a noun clause complementing the object ‘confirmation’
    Correct. For that matter,

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    “You have received it” is an independent clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’.
    is not correct. 'that' is not a relative pronoun. It has no antecedent; it is not relative to anything. 'that' is a complementizer. It introduces a clause that completes something.

    Please send me a confirmation that you have received it.
    'that you have received it' is a nominal clause functioning as a complement to 'confirmation'. An objective complement can be an adjective or a noun. We have a noun here.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #8

    Exclamation Re: have

    Quote Originally Posted by corum View Post
    'that you have received it' is a nominal clause functioning as a complement to 'confirmation'. An objective complement can be an adjective or a noun. We have a noun here.
    You could have said this earlier. I agree, ‘that’ is not a relative pronoun but it is a conjunction/complementizer joining a noun clause complementing the object. There was no need to enter into iirrevalant discussion.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #9

    Re: have

    If I may continue this international debate, I would say, 1. "Please send me ("a" is not necessary because 'confirmation' is a non-count noun) confirmation when you receive it" OR 2. "Please send me confirmation when you have received it" OR 3. "Please send me confirmation that you received it". I prefer #2

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #10

    Re: have

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    If I may continue this international debate, I would say, 1. "Please send me ("a" is not necessary because 'confirmation' is a non-count noun) confirmation when you receive it" OR 2. "Please send me confirmation when you have received it" OR 3. "Please send me confirmation that you received it". I prefer #2
    So "Please send me confirmation that you have received it" is ungrammatical?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •