How to teach naughty kids

• Thread starter i_teach_english
  • Start date
  • Views : 17,777
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

i_teach_english

I'm teaching kids English in Japan. I'm Japanese.
I have two naughty kids. They're brother and sister 5yrs old boy and 7yrs old girl.
It seems like they are learning nothing from me. I speak English during 1 hour lesson but they keep speaking Japanese all the time. When we play game together, they get fight. One always want to be the winner. When I'm singing, the boy is playing something else but the girl is singing and dancing.

While I'm teaching, she always want to do something else and give order by herself. I sometimes let her do it. But I don't know should I not to let her do whatever she wants to do or should I let her do it.

They touch my things. I always tell them No touching, No hitting, Listen to me. I've been teaching them more than 1 year but they haven't changed much..
Please give me some advice.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

I don't know what Japanese attitudes are like regarding education, but I don't think the above comment is useful. Every child has the right to be educated. Having behavioural problems almost gives them more of a right than other children as they require more input to learn.

Consider why they are getting classes. Are they being forced to get English classes because their parents want their children to speak English, or is there a more functional reason. If it is the parents wanting to do it, then use homework as a tool to carry-over work you do in class, so that they aren't just getting the hour you have with them. If their parents wish for their children to speak English, they should encourage them to do the homework.

You said that the children tend to only do what they want to do, and aren't interested in the acitivites you ask them to do. Is it possible to incorporate English learning in the activities they wish to do? It is better to create a learning environment around what the child wants to do, than to force the child to stick to the task you have planned. This is within reason, of course. There must be boundaries. When you want them to do a specific task, try and add choices to the task so that the children feel like they have some choice over what they are doing - even though it is really you leading it.

Setting boundaries can be as easy as making a target board, or something similar, with behaviours on it you want them to achieve. These aren't anything to do with English, things like 'good listening', 'good sitting' etc can help keep them focused. Giving them a reward (a sticker on their target board, for example) will help them foster these behaviours, and more so if they are competitive. Try and make them competitive to do well at behaving appropriately. The person with more stickers at the end of the lesson will get to choose a game - something like that.

None of these things are to do with English - I'm not an English teacher. However, the learning environment needs to be a productive one first, and some of these things might give you some ideas as to what you can do.

Certainly don't shun these children though. If I was a 5 year old boy being forced to learn a foreign language, I'd not be interested either. Why learn English when I can play with cars, or my Wii, or pretend I'm in a war with my friends?

JaniceBaker

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have experience teaching with this age group. It can be difficult to turn things around when children become accustomed to disrespecting rules and being allowed to do what they want, rather than what is expected of them. But, don't lose hope. Naughty children are the best kind because they present the largest challenge to teachers. If a teacher can master this type of child, the gift of accomplishment and true success is amplified.

It is easy to become frustrated in this situation. One suggestion to "turn things around" is to make a plan for change. I find it best to make lists. Write down your goals, write down the childrens goals...are there any in common? Find some...read between the lines. Decide what you expect and make a strict schedule that is realistic for both you and the children to adhere to. When I say strict, please keep in mind that these are small children and can only learn through PLAY. Anything that is not fun and engaging will lose their attention in 5 minutes or less.

Physical activity should be incorporated if at all possible, especiallly when you notice "ansy" behavior or an urge for activity. Activities should alternate every 30-40 mins depending upon the children's interest level. Even if they are having fun it is a good idea to stop the activity and keep them on the sched. This reinforces the idea that YOU are in control. They will be eager to repeat the activity the next day. Use resource materials to get ideas for fresh learning games.

When you have completed the activities planning stage. You need to make a visual change as well as an attitude change and sched/activities change. These changes should occur simultaneously. Don't surprise the children, let them know the day before that there is going to be something NEW and exciting! Redecorate the room, or change your apparel even. You might have fun (and get a lot of attention) by wearing an unusual hat or tie, but don't be rediculous. Tell the children, when you are wearing your hat it is time to be serious. You can take it off when it is time to relax and be silly. Make sure the children are rewarded for their hard, serious work with a few minutes of "silly time" in between learning activities.

If they are able to SEE this visual change, they will associate it with your change in expectations. You MUST communicate to the children what is expected and also what is NOT ALLOWED. Children (even naughty ones) will rise to the occasion if you tell them you need their help, so give them responsibilities. Make them feel important by giving praise at any opportunity to reinforce correct behaviors. At the same time you must not allow behavior that is disrespectful to you. Set limits to protect your sanity. There must be a consequence when rules are not followed. These expectations should be posted and reviewd occasionally, if not daily. Always reward desirabe behavior and ignore undesirable attention seeking behavior that is not in clear violation of the rules or dangerous.

Children at this age level are not really at all interested in learning a foreign language. It's the parents desire. If you can help the children own that interest, you might increase your success. Introduce a beloved American or English speaking character through story. A famous sports champ, or cartoon character. For example, 'Barbie' is popular with little girls. If the children identify with or admire someone who speaks English, it could develop into an interest.

Use this as a rule of thumb, if you are comfortable and having fun, most likely the children are too, if not...well, you know. Use your own feelings and anxiety level as a gauge for what needs to happen next.

Best wishes.

Janice Baker

Last edited:

erica_teach_english

Member Type
English Teacher
Just ignore them or expell them if they really don't wanna learn then your wasting your time with them

Thanks for your advice.
One time I ignored them when they didn't listen to me at all.
It worked at that time, but doesn't work anymore..:cry:

I went outside the room showing my anger oneday.
I shut the door and waited for a while, but they just kept playing inside..

I sometimes feel I'm wasting my time, but I don't want to give up.
I want to have skill how to teach naughty kids.

erica_teach_english

Member Type
English Teacher
(Not a teacher)

I don't know what Japanese attitudes are like regarding education, but I don't think the above comment is useful. Every child has the right to be educated. Having behavioural problems almost gives them more of a right than other children as they require more input to learn.

Consider why they are getting classes. Are they being forced to get English classes because their parents want their children to speak English, or is there a more functional reason. If it is the parents wanting to do it, then use homework as a tool to carry-over work you do in class, so that they aren't just getting the hour you have with them. If their parents wish for their children to speak English, they should encourage them to do the homework.

You said that the children tend to only do what they want to do, and aren't interested in the acitivites you ask them to do. Is it possible to incorporate English learning in the activities they wish to do? It is better to create a learning environment around what the child wants to do, than to force the child to stick to the task you have planned. This is within reason, of course. There must be boundaries. When you want them to do a specific task, try and add choices to the task so that the children feel like they have some choice over what they are doing - even though it is really you leading it.

Setting boundaries can be as easy as making a target board, or something similar, with behaviours on it you want them to achieve. These aren't anything to do with English, things like 'good listening', 'good sitting' etc can help keep them focused. Giving them a reward (a sticker on their target board, for example) will help them foster these behaviours, and more so if they are competitive. Try and make them competitive to do well at behaving appropriately. The person with more stickers at the end of the lesson will get to choose a game - something like that.

None of these things are to do with English - I'm not an English teacher. However, the learning environment needs to be a productive one first, and some of these things might give you some ideas as to what you can do.

Certainly don't shun these children though. If I was a 5 year old boy being forced to learn a foreign language, I'd not be interested either. Why learn English when I can play with cars, or my Wii, or pretend I'm in a war with my friends?

Thanks for your advice:-D
They are leaning English because their parents want them to speak. But parents don't corporate much. It's because they're not good at English and they are busy working.
However, it seems like kids like to come to my lesson.

I give them homework but they are maybe too simple.
I'll try to give them more carry-over work!
But the problem is they sometimes don't do homework...

I understand what you mean exactly. It's not so easy to let students see when to do whatever they want to do and when to stop, but my lesson goes on something like that.
I don't like to say "No!" "No!" all the time but 7yrs old always want to lead and decide what she wants to do. For example, she takes the card from the shelf without my permission and says "lets play with this now".
Maybe it works if I tell them what to do at the beginning??
Giving sticker is really a good idea. They love getting stickers!

Your advice was so helpful!! Thanks again!

erica_teach_english

Member Type
English Teacher
I have experience teaching with this age group. It can be difficult to turn things around when children become accustomed to disrespecting rules and being allowed to do what they want, rather than what is expected of them. But, don't lose hope. Naughty children are the best kind because they present the largest challenge to teachers. If a teacher can master this type of child, the gift of accomplishment and true success is amplified.

It is easy to become frustrated in this situation. One suggestion to "turn things around" is to make a plan for change. I find it best to make lists. Write down your goals, write down the childrens goals...are there any in common? Find some...read between the lines. Decide what you expect and make a strict schedule that is realistic for both you and the children to adhere to. When I say strict, please keep in mind that these are small children and can only learn through PLAY. Anything that is not fun and engaging will lose their attention in 5 minutes or less.

Physical activity should be incorporated if at all possible, especiallly when you notice "ansy" behavior or an urge for activity. Activities should alternate every 30-40 mins depending upon the children's interest level. Even if they are having fun it is a good idea to stop the activity and keep them on the sched. This reinforces the idea that YOU are in control. They will be eager to repeat the activity the next day. Use resource materials to get ideas for fresh learning games.

When you have completed the activities planning stage. You need to make a visual change as well as an attitude change and sched/activities change. These changes should occur simultaneously. Don't surprise the children, let them know the day before that there is going to be something NEW and exciting! Redecorate the room, or change your apparel even. You might have fun (and get a lot of attention) by wearing an unusual hat or tie, but don't be rediculous. Tell the children, when you are wearing your hat it is time to be serious. You can take it off when it is time to relax and be silly. Make sure the children are rewarded for their hard, serious work with a few minutes of "silly time" in between learning activities.

If they are able to SEE this visual change, they will associate it with your change in expectations. You MUST communicate to the children what is expected and also what is NOT ALLOWED. Children (even naughty ones) will rise to the occasion if you tell them you need their help, so give them responsibilities. Make them feel important by giving praise at any opportunity to reinforce correct behaviors. At the same time you must not allow behavior that is disrespectful to you. Set limits to protect your sanity. There must be a consequence when rules are not followed. These expectations should be posted and reviewd occasionally, if not daily. Always reward desirabe behavior and ignore undesirable attention seeking behavior that is not in clear violation of the rules or dangerous.

Children at this age level are not really at all interested in learning a foreign language. It's the parents desire. If you can help the children own that interest, you might increase your success. Introduce a beloved American or English speaking character through story. A famous sports champ, or cartoon character. For example, 'Barbie' is popular with little girls. If the children identify with or admire someone who speaks English, it could develop into an interest.

Use this as a rule of thumb, if you are comfortable and having fun, most likely the children are too, if not...well, you know. Use your own feelings and anxiety level as a gauge for what needs to happen next.

Best wishes.

Janice Baker

Thanks for your advice Janice!!
Ofcourse I'll not losing hope. I think this is one of the step to be a real teacher. Kids are all different so that I must learn how to behave to them.

Your advice sounds so perfect to me. Maybe I'm the one who spoiled them..they are brother and sister so they feel too free in my lesson. I sometimes let them do whatever they want to do. I only made rough plan for their lesson cuzI know how they're gonna behave.
I was getting so tired of telling them not to do this, not to do that, don't touch that, don't open that etc...I usually talk in English during lesson. Maybe I should talk to them in Japanese for serious situation.

Showing them physical difference sounds good too. In that way I don't have to tell them no, no. I really want to follow each of your advice, but in real situation, things may go on differently..but I'll try!
Thanks again!!

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Another idea from what you suggested yourself about letting them know what the activities will be at the beginning of class. Why not try a visual timetable? Having something on the wall - to put up pictures of what they will be doing during the class. Perhaps a picture, the word in Japanese, and the word in English. So, if they are playing a 'lotto' game first, then have a picture that represents lotto first on the board, followed by whatever other activites you have - including the 'silly time' in between some activites or at the end. This way the children can see what is next and can see when they are nearly finished, and how close 'silly time' is. It is usually a good idea to get one of the children to take the picture off when it is completed until there is nothing left and the class is done!

This gets less appropriate as children get older. It certainly is appropriate for the 5 year old boy, and I would say it isn't too childish for a 7 year old girl either. It just helps the kids have a structure, and feel like they have some control. Get them to decide some of the activities and when to do them and let them put them on the board.

Just a thought.

erica_teach_english

Member Type
English Teacher
Another idea from what you suggested yourself about letting them know what the activities will be at the beginning of class. Why not try a visual timetable? Having something on the wall - to put up pictures of what they will be doing during the class. Perhaps a picture, the word in Japanese, and the word in English. So, if they are playing a 'lotto' game first, then have a picture that represents lotto first on the board, followed by whatever other activites you have - including the 'silly time' in between some activites or at the end. This way the children can see what is next and can see when they are nearly finished, and how close 'silly time' is. It is usually a good idea to get one of the children to take the picture off when it is completed until there is nothing left and the class is done!

This gets less appropriate as children get older. It certainly is appropriate for the 5 year old boy, and I would say it isn't too childish for a 7 year old girl either. It just helps the kids have a structure, and feel like they have some control. Get them to decide some of the activities and when to do them and let them put them on the board.

Just a thought.

Thanks for your advice again!
An idea of visual timetable is a great idea, too. In that way, they can see what's gonna happen and it's gonna be easier for me to let them understand what to do next. Untill now, I was having lesson using some picture cards, text book, song cds, and homework. I'm so amazed that people advicing me such useful ideas! I'm so appriciated for sharing those ideas with me.

Now, I must think about the way teach and what materials I must use.
Thanks again.

erica

Status
Not open for further replies.