Quotatin in a discussion topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

trunghq

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi everyone,

I have a writing to hand in tomorrow. And I really need your help. If my question is not suitable for this box, please move it to the right one.

I have a topic to discuss: "The young cannot learn anything from the old."

My teach requires that I have to put a quotation from someone and use it to prove something in my text. Because I am learning about Quotation so she gives this kind of topic to me.

I have searched by Google but the answers I have found are only about the opposite side. The young can teach the old? The old don't want to know from the young?

In my native tongue, this topic is not easy for everyone. And in English, it is more difficult than any topic I have been given. Especially, I have to put a famous (or not?) quotation in this writing.

Please give me some ideas and explain to me how can I organize the ideas. It is a topic to discuss but I don't know much about this kind of writing like this. Do I have to agree with this statement or not and then support my choice?

The limited words are 120 to 150 words only. And this is a paragraph, not an essay.

Please help me, I have only 24 hours to prepare this writing.

Trung.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Firstly, do you agree or disagree with the statement? And how much? Older people may be out of touch with some aspects of life, though not necessarily, and experience and understanding shouldn't be ignored.

trunghq

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks Tdol. I have just discussed with some friends about this topic and I will give you my outline soon. I agree with the topic and I need at least three main ideas.

trunghq

Member Type
Student or Learner
Sorry for posting my writing late. I have to hand in this text tomorrow. My teacher were absent for two previous lessons. It is so impolite if I smile loudly but thanks to this reason, I have more time to finish the assignment.

Here is my last draft. Please rate my writing, I still have 12 hours to hand in this one - now is 00.10 AM in Vietnam, 12.00 AM I have to finish writing. Please give me as many comments as you can. Thanks you all.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks to modern technology, especially the Internet, human beings nowadays can do what would not appear in the wildest dreams of older generations.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Benefits from the various resources of technological era, when any questions can be answered by using Google and other searching tools, many young people believe that “the young cannot learn anything from the old.” However, it seems too rush to jump to such conclusion.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The first reason is knowledge cannot be gained in only few days. What mankind have achieved today has been developed for thousands years, with the contributions of millions of “old people” develop this.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Forget about this fact is not a good way to respond to ancestor’s dedications. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Another cause is the old have experiences that the young need time to get. As someone has to make his way in the world, he really needs much wisdom to overcome these bad things lining in wait outside his own nest. He still wants to ask some question about what the best way to communicate with others is, or how he can get along well with his colleagues. The Internet may help the young in many ways but everybody is living in the real world, and there are a lot of problems which the young never know how to solve. The last idea is the old have the different opinion from the young’s one when they observe an issue. From this saying of Homer (800 – 700 BC) in The Iliad: “Young men's minds are always changeable, but when an old man is concerned in a matter, he looks both before and after.” The young see things in a simple way because they only can see from outside. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I asked my class-mates and they said that the teacher didn't say about the limited words for this task. So I expand my writing to more than 250 words.

This text has three main ideas:
1. The whole mankind contribute to knowledge, especially the old people.
2. The old has experience the young don't have.
3. The way the old see the things is better than how the young do.

I don't know the third idea is suitable for the whole paragraph. I have to put a quotation here and choose one quotation form Homer. The third idea is related to the second one?

I still do not finish this writing. I am wondering about the third idea and the conclusion. Please help me solve this problem.

trunghq

Member Type
Student or Learner
[FONT=&quot]Thanks to modern technology, especially the Internet, human beings nowadays can do what would not appear in the wildest dreams of older generations.[FONT=&quot]Benefits from the various resources of technological era, when any questions can be answered by using Google and other searching tools, many young people believe that “the young cannot learn anything from the old.” However, it seems too rush to jump to such conclusion.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The first reason is knowledge cannot be gained in only few days. What mankind have achieved today has been developed for thousands years, with the contributions of millions of “old people” develop this.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Forget about this fact is not a good way to respond to ancestor’s dedications. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Another cause is the old have experiences that the young need time to get. As someone has to make his way in the world, he really needs much wisdom to overcome these bad things lining in wait outside his own nest. He still wants to ask some question about what the best way to communicate with others is, or how he can get along well with his colleagues. The Internet may help the young in many ways but everybody is living in the real world, and there are a lot of problems which the young never know how to solve. The last idea is the old have the different opinion from the young’s one when they observe an issue. From this saying of Homer (800 – 700 BC) in The Iliad: “Young men's minds are always changeable, but when an old man is concerned in a matter, he looks both before and after.” The young see things in a simple way because they only can see from outside. [/FONT][/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.