Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #1

    comma before too

    Hello,
    It's me again
    Months ago there was a thread about this topic, but I did not pay much attention
    (It was not my thread.)

    Please tell if I should put a comma before too.
    Usually, I always do this!

    Randomly generated conversations by me:
    He: Great forums here!
    Me: Yes, I like these forums, too.
    He: That trick didn't solve my problem.
    Me: It did not work for me, too.
    He: I don't know anything about London since I've never been there.
    Me: I have never been to London, too.
    He: This makes no sense at all.
    Me: I, too, think this makes no sense.


    You can download our maps, too, if you want.
    I don't like waiting for an sms, too.


    Sometimes I use also or as well, but when I use too, I always use commas.

    Cheers!

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: comma before too

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello,
    It's me again
    Months ago there was a thread about this topic, but I did not pay much attention
    (It was not my thread.)

    Please tell if I should put a comma before too.
    Usually, I always do this!

    Randomly generated conversations by me:
    He: Great forums here!
    Me: Yes, I like these forums, too.
    He: That trick didn't solve my problem.
    Me: It did not work for me either.
    He: I don't know anything about London since I've never been there.
    Me: I have never been to London either.
    He: This makes no sense at all.
    Me: I, too, think this makes no sense.


    You can download our maps, too, if you want.
    I don't like waiting for an sms either.


    Sometimes I use also or as well, but when I use too, I always use commas.

    Cheers!
    No comma before "too".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    #3

    Re: comma before too

    Me: I, too, think this makes no sense.
    You need a comma before too here, don't you?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #4

    Re: comma before too

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello,
    It's me again
    Months ago there was a thread about this topic, but I did not pay much attention
    (It was not my thread.)

    Please tell if I should put a comma before too.
    Usually, I always do this!

    Randomly generated conversations by me:
    He: Great forums here!
    Me: Yes, I like these forums, too.
    He: That trick didn't solve my problem.
    Me: It did not work for me, too.
    He: I don't know anything about London since I've never been there.
    Me: I have never been to London, too.
    He: This makes no sense at all.
    Me: I, too, think this makes no sense.

    You can download our maps, too, if you want.
    I don't like waiting for an sms, too.

    Sometimes I use also or as well, but when I use too, I always use commas.

    Cheers!

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Good morning.

    (1) You have asked another great question.

    (2) This is what I have discovered about its use in the United States:

    (a) Maybe most experts say the comma is not necessary.

    (b) Some experts say it's fine if you wish to EMPHASIZE the similarity.

    (i) "I like these forums, too" is considered (by some people) as stronger than simply "I like these forums too." In other words, some experts think the pause of a comma makes a difference.

    (3) Many years ago, everybody here in the States used a comma.

    (4) Many experts say it is now a personal choice.

    (5) Because I am a mature (old) man, I still use a comma. Not using a comma looks strange to me.

    (6) I suspect that most American newspapers no longer use the comma.

    Have a nice day.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #5

    Re: comma before too

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post

    (b) Some experts say it's fine if you wish to EMPHASIZE the similarity.
    (i) "I like these forums, too" is considered (by some people) as stronger than simply "I like these forums too." In other words, some experts think the pause of a comma makes a difference.
    This is quite strange, TheParser. Can you give an example of an expert who thinks the comma has a strengthening function?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #6

    Re: comma before too

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    This is quite strange, TheParser. Can you give an example of an expert who thinks the comma has a strengthening function?
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Thank you for your question.

    My expert was a writer who gave her opinion on the Web. Go to Google and type in "Comma before too." Then scroll until you find "Grammar Girl: When to Use a Comma with Too."

    I personally agree with her. But some commenters on the website thought she was all wet.

    Bottom line: Most books and teachers in the United States no longer require the comma. But some ( a few?) people continue to use a comma. And they have experts on their side, too.

    Thank you.

  4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #7

    Re: comma before too

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    but when I use too, I always use commas.
    Please don't.

  5. Eric Davis's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 86
    #8

    Re: comma before too

    Apparently, the comma isn't necessary...

    Comma Before Too?


  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #9

    Re: comma before too

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post

    My expert was a writer who gave her opinion on the Web. Go to Google and type in "Comma before too." Then scroll until you find "Grammar Girl: When to Use a Comma with Too."
    Not everyone who has a web page is an expert. Without casting aspersions on Grammar Girl, it's hard to tell what her qualifications are - besides having a web page and an opinion.
    Is this what you generally mean when you write 'experts'?

  7. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #10

    Re: comma before too

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Not everyone who has a web page is an expert. Without casting aspersions on Grammar Girl, it's hard to tell what her qualifications are - besides having a web page and an opinion.
    Is this what you generally mean when you write 'experts'?

    TheParser was not saying that the Grammar Girl is a writing expert. She was sharing the opinion of Bonnie Trenga, the author of The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier, someone most people, I believe, would consider to be an authority on the principles of grammar. Of course, what she offers is still an opinion, as he indicates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Comma Usage
    By Eric Davis in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Feb-2010, 01:34
  2. [General] Advanced Comma Usage Questions
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2010, 21:58
  3. comma and grammar questions...
    By pinkwarrior235 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2008, 21:59
  4. Need help badly with comma usage
    By pinkwarrior235 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2008, 21:39
  5. well-ventilated
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2007, 22:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •