Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

From my window I can see a dog who/which lives in the kennel.

--- Is it correct to use either "which" or "who"?

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
We usually use 'who' for people and 'which' for animals and things. 'That' can be used with both.

However 'who' may be used with animals if you consider them part of your family; eg. pets

This is just theory and natives should say what and how they use in everyday life.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say either "who" or "that" in that sentence.

Although I've since been told that they way I learned it is no longer a rule, I still use "which" to introduce non-essential information and "who/that" to introduce essential information.

I can see a dog, which [in case you are interested] lives in a kennel.
In can see a dog that lives in a kennel.
I can see a dog who lives in a kennel. -- I would use the "who" only if I felt some relationship with the dog. I stop and talk to it every day on my way to work, etc.

Mr. Spivey

Member Type
Other
Hi

From my window I can see a dog who/which lives in the kennel.

--- Is it correct to use either "which" or "who"?

Technically, neither is correct. "Who" is reserved for people and, in some cases, known animals. "Which" is used for nonrestrictive relative clauses, e.g., "Nabakov's first book, which he wrote in Russian, never became a classic."

The relative pronoun you want to use in this case is "that," which is used for restrictive relative clauses.

Some people will argue with me, because the rules regarding relative pronouns and restrictive/nonrestrictive clauses are seen as flexible and frequently transgressed by native speakers. What I'm giving you is the traditional prescriptivist response that does not reflect actual popular usage.

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
Technically, neither is correct. "Who" is reserved for people and, in some cases, known animals. "Which" is used for nonrestrictive relative clauses, e.g., "Nabakov's first book, which he wrote in Russian, never became a classic."

The relative pronoun you want to use in this case is "that," which is used for restrictive relative clauses.

The book which I borrowed on Friday is very interesting.

According to what you're saying, do you think that 'that' should be used in the above sentence? I find it perfectly OK with 'which'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems Mr. Spivey was taught the same rule I was. I would have written your sentence either as

The book, which [by the way] I borrowed on Friday, is very interesting.
or
The book that I borrowed on Friday [telling me which specific book you mean] is very interesting.

However, I acknowledge that this "rule" is no longer considered valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.