Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
...is that forecast we have today any more hardwired than the forecast that we had five years ago?

Dear all,

What's the meaning of hardwired here?

Thanks in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
...is that forecast we have today any more hardwired than the forecast that we had five years ago?

Dear all,

Thanks in advance.
It looks very much like a misuse of the word.
A complete sentence would be useful, but perhaps 'reliable' is what is meant. I can't think of a context where 'hardwired' could be correct here.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Could it mean "structured"?

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Dear all,

Thanks in advance.

Hardwired has two dictionary meanings.
§ A computer or electronic device that is hard-wired is built to work in a particular way and you cannot change the way it performs with new software, etc.
• informal If someone or something is hard-wired to do a particular thing, they automatically do it and cannot change that behavior
Humans are hard-wired to love fattening foods.

The second meaning can be applied here: thatforecast we have today any more hardwired ? Does the forecast has the same fixed pattern of prediction as the forecast that we had five years ago or is there a significant change?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The second meaning can be applied here: thatforecast we have today any more hardwired ? Does the forecast has the same fixed pattern of prediction as the forecast that we had five years ago or is there a significant change?
'Hardwired' is used incorrectly here. Forecasts can't be hardwired, even metaphorically. And they especially can't become more hardwired - something's either hardwired or it isn't.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suspect that in this sentence "hardwired" is synonymous with "certain". I think we all have to remember that there are many liberties taken now more than ever when it comes to language and its use. Sometimes we have to just "go with the flow". As I have said once or twice before, remember Humpty Dumpty's quote from Alice In Wonderland, "When I use a word it means exactly what I want it to mean, nothing more nothing less".

Status
Not open for further replies.