word order question

Status
Not open for further replies.

astaf

Member Type
Other
Could you please explain or probably give a link to the rule regarding the word order in the part of the sentence following direct speech in the sentences like these :

" I am really happy to see you " she said
" I am really happy to see you " said the woman
" I am really happ to see you " Tom said

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you please explain or probably give a link to the rule regarding the word order in the part of the sentence following direct speech in the sentences like these :

" I am really happy to see you " she said
" I am really happy to see you " said the woman
" I am really happ to see you " Tom said

There is only one rule for the direct speech, which is used to give the exact words spoken by another speaker. The spoken words are given between quotation marks (" ") which can be placed either before or after the clause narrating it. In the example sentences, the quoted words are no doubt placed within quotation marks (" ") but without proper punctuation (no full stop or other closing sign) . They are punctuated as follows:
" I am really happy to see you." she said.
" I am really happy to see you." said the woman.
Tom said," I am really happy to see you."

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They are punctuated as follows:
"I am really happy to see you." she said.
"I am really happy to see you." said the woman.
Tom said, "I am really happy to see you."

I think there should be a comma after the direct speech instead of period in #1 and 2. 'She said', 'said the woman' are not independent sentences here -- they are part of the whole sentence.

Quotation Marks

Edit: I noticed that in literature, for example, you will hardly find this kind of punctuation:
Tom said, "I am really happy to see you." There is always a colon after <someone said> if it precedes the direct speech.
But in other sources it's common.

Last edited:

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think there should be a comma after the direct speech instead of period in #1 and 2. 'She said', 'said the woman' are not independent sentences here -- they are part of the whole sentence.

Quotation Marks

Edit: I noticed that in literature, for example, you will hardly find this kind of punctuation:
Tom said, "I am really happy to see you." There is always a colon after <someone said> if it precedes the direct speech.
But in other sources it's common.

I think, a comma is optional after the direct speech in respect of 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.