Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #1

    Question To gaze up

    Hi all,

    I am reading an Ottawa's newspaper in which two words stuck me about the meaning of the sentence.

    See belong :

    "Thick grey smoke billowed over surrounding streets, where dozens of area residents braved the cold to gaze up and take photos".

    I know it is easy for native English but for me this little word like 'up' after gaze always blurred my understanding. Nonetheless I would like to know what means these two words together.

    Thanks.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #2

    Re: To gaze up

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hi all,

    I am reading an Ottawa's newspaper in which two words stuck me about the meaning of the sentence.

    See belong :

    "Thick grey smoke billowed over surrounding streets, where dozens of area residents braved the cold to gaze up and take photos".

    I know it is easy for native English but for me this little word like 'up' after gaze always blurred my understanding. Nonetheless I would like to know what means these two words together.

    Thanks.
    "To gaze" means "to look", "to gaze up" means "to look upwards", at the sky for example.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #3

    Re: To gaze up

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "To gaze" means "to look", "to gaze up" means "to look upwards", at the sky for example.
    Hello teacher,

    thanks for your answer. I read often English or American newspaper and I'd like to know if it is natural for English always to write a particule like 'up' 'down' or another with verbs to show a direction about an action.

    Hope you understand what I try to ask you.

    Thanks.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #4

    Re: To gaze up

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello teacher,

    thanks for your answer. I read often English or American newspaper and I'd like to know if it is natural for English always to write a particule like 'up' 'down' or another with verbs to show a direction about an action.

    Hope you understand what I try to ask you.

    Thanks.
    Yes, that's right but sometimes a verb can be followed by a preposition of direction and the resulting "phrasal verb" means something else entirely, "to look up a word in a dictionary" for example, has nothing to do with direction.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #5

    Re: To gaze up

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes, that's right but sometimes a verb can be followed by a preposition of direction and the resulting "phrasal verb" means something else entirely, "to look up a word in a dictionary" for example, has nothing to do with direction.
    Hi,

    I reckon I must learn a lot of those phrasals verbs to understand the subtleties of English. I am not going to relinquish maybe give up it's better.

    A have a break, I am going to lunch perhaps the word souper is better because it is to early for souper
    .

Similar Threads

  1. gaze, stare....
    By katerina.pata in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Feb-2010, 15:19
  2. peer and gaze
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2008, 07:41
  3. lot, pride at, hide and gaze upon
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2007, 02:20
  4. vocabulary
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2004, 13:01

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •