• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

What is the meaning of these words ?

Context: Somebody said this sentence to me.

Sentence : "I am right of left as far as economics is concerned and left of right in terms of politics"

My question/doubt: I have heard and I know the meaning of centrist, leftist, conservative and their ultra forms but I'm getting problem in inferring these terms: "right of left" and "left of right". Ive highlighted these terms in the above mentioned sentence also. Can you help me in understanding the meaning of these terms, what could they mean ?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: What is the meaning of these words ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    The terms, right and left, as used in this context comes from the French. Those in favor of the established order sat on the right side of the assembly, those in favor of changes sat on the left side.

If a person is right of left, that person tends to be conversative. If that person is left of right, that person is somewhat liberal.
    Please read my question again I was not asking what you answered. I already knew what you have told me. Thanks anyway for replying.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    The original question was -
    Context: Somebody said this sentence to me.

Sentence : "I am right of left as far as economics is concerned and left of right in terms of politics"

My question/doubt: I have heard and I know the meaning of centrist, leftist, conservative and their ultra forms but I'm getting problem in inferring these terms: "right of left" and "left of right". Ive highlighted these terms in the above mentioned sentence also. Can you help me in understanding the meaning of these terms, what could they mean ?

The answer was -

If a person is right of left, that person tends to be conservative. If that person is left of right, that person is somewhat liberal.

What part of the answer do you or do you not understand?
    Sorry my bad . Actually I read the first few lines of your first reply and assumed that you are explaining me the meaning and the origin of the Left and the Right! So I did not care to read you reply further that is why this confusion had arose. After seeing your second reply I just noticed my mistake. Apology for that and thanks for answering my question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Usually people compare their positions on economic/fiscal issues in contrast to social issues, not political issues. Economics often have a strong political component. I wonder if this person misspoke.

This would be a common thing to say: Politically, I lean right for fiscal issues, but I'm more to the left on social issues. (Something like that.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.