• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile difficult sentences

dear i've found in dictionary that is preposition what is the meaning or preposition and i've found above or further than a particular point or stage example Unemployment is now past the 3 million mark (why past is is not adjective it is after is) . The flowers are past their best.(here past is not adjective why it is after are ) best : what is the meaning of best I've found the best Hes past his prime (what is the meaning of sentence) Shes long past retirement age.(what is the meaning of long) thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: difficult sentences

dear i've found in dictionary that is preposition what is the meaning or preposition and i've found above or further than a particular point or stage example Unemployment is now past the 3 million mark (why past is is not adjective it is after is) . The flowers are past their best.(here past is not adjective why it is after are ) best : what is the meaning of best I've found the best He’s past his prime (what is the meaning of sentence) She’s long past retirement age.(what is the meaning of long) thank you

1. "Past": I don't understand your question and your reference to its position after "is"/"are" in your examples. "Past" can be a noun, an adjective, a preposition or an adverb. In your examples I see "past" used as a preposition.
    2. "Past" = "Beyond"

3. "Long past retirement age" = Far beyond. For example, if retirement age is 65, he is 75.