/v/, /r/ in the words

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazy_butt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi guys,

I got a few questions.

1. the word every is pronounced /evri/, the /v/ is pronounced clearly I think. But in the word everyday, everyone, everywhere, etc, the dictionaries still show that the /v/ sound is pronounced. But I found it hard to pronounce the /vri/ sounds in the words everyday, everyone, as I have to slow down and pronounce it slowly. do you guys actually pronounce the /v/ in the word everyday or is the more pronunciation more like /eriday/ ?

2. I heard that to pronounce /r/, purse your mouth and pull back your tongue, some even say that raise the middle and back of your tongue toward the roof of your mouth without touching it, and vibrate your vocal cords. this tongue movement seems odd and hard, do you guys really pronounce /r/ this way?

3. When someone didn't hear your words, did they say "what was that?", or just "was that?", what i heard was really like the 2nd one.

Thanks in advance!:)

ishana

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Sri Lanka
Hi guys,

I got a few questions.

1. the word every is pronounced /evri/, the /v/ is pronounced clearly I think. But in the word everyday, everyone, everywhere, etc, the dictionaries still show that the /v/ sound is pronounced. But I found it hard to pronounce the /vri/ sounds in the words everyday, everyone, as I have to slow down and pronounce it slowly. do you guys actually pronounce the /v/ in the word everyday or is the more pronunciation more like /eriday/ ?

2. I heard that to pronounce /r/, purse your mouth and pull back your tongue, some even say that raise the middle and back of your tongue toward the roof of your mouth without touching it, and vibrate your vocal cords. this tongue movement seems odd and hard, do you guys really pronounce /r/ this way?

3. When someone didn't hear your words, did they say "what was that?", or just "was that?", what i heard was really like the 2nd one.

Thanks in advance!:)
Hi!
lazy butt,
My thought is that, Clear and accurate pronunciation is key element to learning any language.Good pronunciation keep us successful communication and present our opinion clearly. It is very important to professional life.
I have the same problem what you have,but I'm keeping my try over come the problem.try the word pronounce again and again which you couldn't.

Oh! don't miss the 'What' because of the word, human being existing in the world.What?:)

bds51

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Germany
Hello L B,
Most Chinese have problems with 'r' but for those who can pronounce it, their tongue tip will tend to curl back toward the upper palate (roof of the mouth) and the sides of tongue will rub against or touch the upper molars.

The the 'v' in every, everybody etc. should always be clearly pronounced and is but if you omit it and pronounce the 'r' correctly, you'll be understood. If you omit it and mispronounce the 'r' as well, you'll sound odd.

A native speaker wouldn't say 'what that' for 'what was that'. They might have 'schwaed' the 'a' in 'was' but the 's' would be heard. However, many Asians omit a final 's' and I've often heard 'what that' for either 'what's that' or what was that.

Status
Not open for further replies.