Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. ha179's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 171
    #1

    Conditional

    I did a test on this website about conditional and I was confused with this question:
    If I were you, I wouldn't have done that. This is correct.
    I choose FALSE but the answer is TRUE.
    Can someone explain it to me?
    Thank you.

  2. MASM's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 292
    #2

    Re: Conditional

    Quote Originally Posted by ha179 View Post
    I did a test on this website about conditional and I was confused with this question:
    If I were you, I wouldn't have done that. This is correct.
    I choose FALSE but the answer is TRUE.
    Can someone explain it to me?
    Thank you.
    Yes, I think I can help you with that. I guess you thought that the answer would be: If I had been you, I wouldn't have done that. Am I right?
    This sentence would then mean that I was not you in that occasion, but could be in the future..which is rather illogical because no one can be another person. That's why we have to use "If I were you" as a piece of advice.

    I hope that helps

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #3

    Exclamation Re: Conditional

    Quote Originally Posted by ha179 View Post
    I did a test on this website about conditional and I was confused with this question:
    If I were you, I wouldn't have done that. This is correct.
    I choose FALSE but the answer is TRUE.
    Can someone explain it to me?
    Thank you.
    I am unable to understand, what is the real question on the conditional sentence. In any case the sentence is seen to be in the past subjunctive (If I were you). Please note that the subjunctive mood is used in a dependent if clause to express a condition that does not exist (is contrary to fact), I can not be you, this is a hypothetical fact. In such a case, the verb of the main clause must then contain the modal verb would. This is exactly followed here. So it is correct.

  3. ha179's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 171
    #4

    Re: Conditional

    What I don't understand is the type of if clause, the structure of the sentence is not second conditional or third conditional, but it is still correct.
    I really appreciate both replies, especially MASM's one, this explanation really helps me, thank you :)
    Last edited by ha179; 31-Mar-2010 at 11:33. Reason: wrong tense

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #5

    Re: Conditional

    Quote Originally Posted by ha179 View Post
    What I don't understand is the type of if clause, the structure of the sentence is not second conditional or third conditional, but it is still correct.
    I really appreciate both replies, especially MASM's one, this explanation really helps me, thank you :)
    Hello ha179! You're right, it's none of the conditionals you mentioned. It's one of so-called mixed conditionals. ENGLISH PAGE - Mixed Conditionals

  4. MASM's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 292
    #6

    Re: Conditional

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Hello ha179! You're right, it's none of the conditionals you mentioned. It's one of so-called mixed conditionals. ENGLISH PAGE - Mixed Conditionals
    Exactly, It's a mixed conditional Second Third Mixed Conditional: If + past simple + would have + past participle.

    I'm becoming an expert on this...mmasny is too .

    You're welcome, I'm happy to help

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help With Variations of Conditional Structures
    By tonyheaney in forum Teacher Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2010, 15:44
  2. [General] HEEEEEELP..The conditional Forms
    By alanbayana in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2009, 18:00
  3. Problematic conditional
    By Grablevskij in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2007, 00:02
  4. will x 2
    By M56 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2005, 12:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •