Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I did a test on this website about conditional and I was confused with this question:
If I were you, I wouldn't have done that. This is correct.
I choose FALSE but the answer is TRUE.
Can someone explain it to me?
Thank you.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I did a test on this website about conditional and I was confused with this question:
Thank you.

Yes, I think I can help you with that. I guess you thought that the answer would be: If I had been you, I wouldn't have done that. Am I right?
This sentence would then mean that I was not you in that occasion, but could be in the future..which is rather illogical because no one can be another person. That's why we have to use "If I were you" as a piece of advice.

I hope that helps

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you.

I am unable to understand, what is the real question on the conditional sentence. In any case the sentence is seen to be in the past subjunctive (If I were you). Please note that the subjunctive mood is used in a dependent if clause to express a condition that does not exist (is contrary to fact), I can not be you, this is a hypothetical fact. In such a case, the verb of the main clause must then contain the modal verb would. This is exactly followed here. So it is correct.

ha179

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
What I don't understand is the type of if clause, the structure of the sentence is not second conditional or third conditional, but it is still correct.
I really appreciate both replies, especially MASM's one, this explanation really helps me, thank you :)

Last edited:

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What I don't understand is the type of if clause, the structure of the sentence is not second conditional or third conditional, but it is still correct.
I really appreciate both replies, especially MASM's one, this explanation really helps me, thank you :)
Hello ha179! You're right, it's none of the conditionals you mentioned. It's one of so-called mixed conditionals. ENGLISH PAGE - Mixed Conditionals

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello ha179! You're right, it's none of the conditionals you mentioned. It's one of so-called mixed conditionals. ENGLISH PAGE - Mixed Conditionals

Exactly, It's a mixed conditional Second Third Mixed Conditional: If + past simple + would have + past participle.

I'm becoming an expert on this...mmasny is too :-D.

You're welcome, I'm happy to help

Status
Not open for further replies.