Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Why is it correct to use a comma instead of a semicolon in sentences such as this one:

The Nets did a good job, they got a good win.

It was my understanding that two independent clauses can be separated either with a conjunction or a semicolon (perhaps also with a dash).

Thanks.

GrahameBoyd

Member Type
Other
Why is it correct to use a comma instead of a semicolon in sentences such as this one:

It was my understanding that two independent clauses can be separated either with a conjunction or a semicolon (perhaps also with a dash).

Thanks.

I'm not an English teacher, Jasmin, but I wouldn't have thought that it was more correct to use a comma instead of a semicolon or a hyphen. One of the functions of punctuation is to allow the reader to verbally reproduce the sentence in the way the you, the author, wants it to be said and a semicolon (or hyphen) in this instance would indicate a longer pause between the two clauses than is normally associated with a comma. I'd have more of an issue with the use of the word "got" instead of "had"!

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I'm not an English teacher, Jasmin, but I wouldn't have thought that it was more correct to use a comma instead of a semicolon or a hyphen. One of the functions of punctuation is to allow the reader to verbally reproduce the sentence in the way the you, the author, wants it to be said and a semicolon (or hyphen) in this instance would indicate a longer pause between the two clauses than is normally associated with a comma. I'd have more of an issue with the use of the word "got" instead of "had"!

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think one can separate two independent clauses with a hyphen; you probably meant to say "dash."

Also, why do you think "got" is wrong? If one were to replace it with "had" the sentence would not make sense.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic

Thanks.

The Nets won? When? (They may be the worst team in NBA basketball history.)

But seriously, this is clearly a very informal way of speaking. Someone is rendering this kind of "sports speech" into writing. Increasingly in such situations people are allowing a comma to replace the more formal (and technically correct) semicolon. Generally speaking, if a sentence is rapidly flowing from thought to thought, I would allow for the comma. But I am very strict with students when they are learning their grammar rules; a semicolon is required when they are connecting two independent clauses.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't think one can separate two independent clauses with a hyphen; you probably meant to say "dash."
I'd think so. Typographically it's a hyphen - the 101 keyboard doesn't have a dash, though Word will automatically change an isolated hyphen to a dash. Grammatically, whether you use the hyphen key or not, in this context it's a dash.

Also, why do you think "got" is wrong? If one were to replace it with "had" the sentence would not make sense.
You don't 'get' a win; you 'have' a win. 'Get' does not sound natural here.
R.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland

"They got a win" is a very common phrase in North American English, although it may be colloquial.

"They got a win" and "They had a win" do not mean the same thing to me. The first sentence emphasizes the process of winning, whereas the second describes a state or outcome.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Thank you for your reply.

In this context you will hear people say "got a good win." I don't particularly like it, but it is increasingly used in "sports speech."

The word "have" would work but doesn't indicate the effort they put into it. I guess you could say, "They managed to obtain a hard-fought victory," but I'll accept, "They got a good win." It has a certain charm to it. Back in the old days the sportscasters were old ballplayers who came right out of the country. Hence you would hear someone exclaim, "He slud [slid] into third base." Now you regularly hear, "You did real good, kid," even from college professor fathers.

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You don't 'get' a win; you 'have' a win.
'Get' does not sound natural here.
Seems like to some people it does.
I'm a sports fan -- I often see this construction.
Also, Google gives LOTS of examples, including from au.sports.yahoo.com

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Seems like to some people it does.
I'm a sports fan -- I often see this construction.
Also, Google gives LOTS of examples, including from au.sports.yahoo.com
Yes, it seems that it's used widely in some places. I'm not a sports person myself. But I still prefer "have a win", which, using Google, is three times as popular as "get a win". I note that GrahameBoyd, who first questioned this is also from Australia. Maybe it crept here recently from America, like many things.
But, for Jasmin, "had a win" does make sense.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Yes, it seems that it's used widely in some places. I'm not a sports person myself. But I still prefer "have a win", which, using Google, is three times as popular as "get a win". I note that GrahameBoyd, who first questioned this is also from Australia. Maybe it crept here recently from America, like many things.
But, for Jasmin, "had a win" does make sense.

To me the difference between "They got a win" and "They had a win" is the same as the difference between "I got a present" and "I had a present." "Got" emphasizes the process of acquiring something; "had" does not.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Strictly speaking I don't think either "got" or "had" are correct, although both are commonly used. If we are going to consider underlying meaning then "got" and "had" imply that they were handed their win. Why not "they won" or if you want to qualify their win "achieved a good win".

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Strictly speaking I don't think either "got" or "had" are correct, although both are commonly used. If we are going to consider underlying meaning then "got" and "had" imply that they were handed their win. Why not "they won" or if you want to qualify their win "achieved a good win".

"The Nets did a good job, they got a good win" is a sentence I read on NBA.com. "Got" sounds a lot more natural to me and, as I said, it gives the sentence a slightly different meaning from "had."

Of course there are alternatives. "Achieved a win" sounds rather formal, and I would not use it in day-to-day English.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In answer to your original question, it should have been quoted with the comma. It requires either a period or a semi-colon, as you suspected from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.