Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
United States
My question is regarding the title of Mark Twain's story "Some Learned Fables, For Good Old Boys And Girls"

What does "learned" in the title mean?
I checked the dictionary, and I think I can relate to two meanings.
1. Scientific. You will understand how this is significant to the story if you read it.
2. Taken from generation to generation, from father to son.

I think I am more inclined toward the latter.

Please let me know what you think.

Edit: I found another example that I think is similar.

The Learned Tales of Medieval Ireland.

Last edited:

karitaru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
United States

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
A clue would be how you pronounce the word "Learned".

It's pronounced "learn ned" and not "learnd", as you would usually encounter it.

There is a Simpsons episode called "The Crepes of Wrath" which exploits the differences in the pronunciation of the word, and hence, the meaning.

karitaru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
United States
To understand this title one has to appreciate how Twain wrote and his unusual sense of humor. Learned, in the sense that Twain used the word, refers to the highly educated. Twain was playing with the language a bit - as he usually did. These - according to Twain - are refined stories for the common folk, the good old boys and girls. To really understand this title you would have to read a number of books written by Twain.

But the use of the word fables, wouldn't it contradict that. Since a fable, according to Webster, is "a legendary story of supernatural happenings," and not a tale in the regular sense.

Are you suggesting that "Some learned tales for the ...etc" would give the same effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.