Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
Hi,

In my native language we say one million casualty (after a million we have a singular). I am wondering whether in English we say "one million casualty" or "one million casualties" thanks.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Casualties" (AmE)

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hi,

In my native language we say one million casualty (after a million we have a singular). I am wondering whether in English we say "one million casualty" or "one million casualties" thanks.

Yes, one million casualties is correct. To make it singular you would say, "the one millionth casualty." But in French would you really use the singular for "casualty" after one million? Is that true with other nouns? I'm sorry to expand this forum beyond English, but I'm interested.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, one million casualties is correct. To make it singular you would say, "the one millionth casualty." But in French would you really use the singular for "casualty" after one million? Is that true with other nouns? I'm sorry to expand this forum beyond English, but I'm interested.
There is not really a direct translation in French for "casualty". I would translate that phrase as "un million de blessés", plural. I just checked it with my wife, she is French and a teacher of French, and she confirms that.

Status
Not open for further replies.