Captivate, Fascinate and Enthrall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

collamelly

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello. I would like to ask one question here on the words 'captivate', 'fascinate' and 'enthrall'. I have checked the meaning and three of them have slightly the same meanings. So can I anyone help to differentiate and the right usage of these words?. Thank You:).

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hello. I would like to ask one question here on the words 'captivate', 'fascinate' and 'enthrall'. I have checked the meaning and three of them have slightly the same meanings. So can I anyone help to differentiate and the right usage of these words?. Thank You:).

Good morning! These are, indeed, some lovely words. I would say that they can be used interchangeably. Captivate and fascinate are perhaps more likely to be used as verbs. Enthralling would, however, readily join captivating and fascinating as adjectives.

While they can often be used interchangeably, I would tend to use them as follows:
If something is intellectually or artistically stimulating I would call it fascinating. If it is especially so, I would say it is captivating or even enthralling.
On the other hand, a gorgeous sunset (or a beautiful woman) might be captivating but not necessarily fascinating.
I would reserve enthralling for an exceptionally powerful experience that leaves me in a state of wonder and awe. A book might be fascinating but it is not likely to be enthralling.

But surely there are some writers among us -- including fiction writers! -- who have more experience of the nuances of these three most enchanting, if not entrancing, words.

Status
Not open for further replies.