Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
How do you feel about the following sentence?
"I've lost my watch at the party".
I am talking to someone who knows that the party in question had taken place the previous day. Is it okay to use the present perfect in this sentence or does the implied past time reference (the party) calls for the past simple?
Is this sentence absolutely correct, acceptable or just downright wrong?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
How do you feel about the following sentence?
"I've lost my watch at the party".
I am talking to someone who knows that the party in question had taken place the previous day. Is it okay to use the present perfect in this sentence or does the implied past time reference (the party) calls for the past simple?
Is this sentence absolutely correct, acceptable or just downright wrong?

No, I would not say that it's wrong. However, it would seem more natural in this circumstance to say, "I lost my watch at the party." Since it took place yesterday, that would seem to make the most sense.

But, again, it is not wrong to say it the way you did. Consider this conversation.
You: "Oh drat, I've lost my watch."
Friend A: "Where did you lose it?"
You: "At the party."
Friend B: "What's that you said?"
You: "I said, I've lost my watch at the party."

HighPriest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Another question

If you use the Present Perfect in the sentence "I've left my calculator at home", what is the present time relevance: 1) I don't have it now, or 2) the calculator is at home at the moment?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Re: Another question

If you use the Present Perfect in the sentence "I've left my calculator at home", what is the present time relevance: 1) I don't have it now, or 2) the calculator is at home at the moment?

I would assume that you mean both of those sentences. It is at home at the moment and, thus, I don't have it with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.