What does 'travel bug' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
It was a school trip to Paris for a week, and I thought it was wonderful. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the language - they were all wonderful. I had never experienced anything like it, and the week had a profound effect on me. It gave me the travel bug!

Hi teachers. Would you mind giving me a hand, please?

What does 'travel bug' mean here? I've looked it up in the dictionary, but it did not tell me anything. Thanks in advance.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
羡鱼-Xianyu;587165 said:
It was a school trip to Paris for a week, and I thought it was wonderful. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the language - they were all wonderful. I had never experienced anything like it, and the week had a profound effect on me. It gave me the travel bug!

Hi teachers. Would you mind giving me a hand, please?

What does 'travel bug' mean here? I've looked it up in the dictionary, but it did not tell me anything. Thanks in advance.

I guess it means that you would like to travel more; keep travelling now that you have had such a good experience

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
Travel bug

In British English, the slang word "bug", in the above given context, means an illness or a disease which is usually infectious.

Example:

Person1: Atchoo! [sneezes]
Person2: Bless you. Are you alright?
Person1: It's nothing. I must've caught a bug (eg a cold or fluu) from walking in the rain yesterday.

So, a "travel bug" is an illness or a disease which compels the infected person with the desire to travel.

Please note that, although I have used words like "illness" and "disease" to describe it, the term "travel bug" itself does not have any negative connotations.

In fact, it is usually a positive thing to catch the travel bug.:up:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Travel bug

In British English, the slang word "bug", in the above given context, means an illness or a disease which is usually infectious.

Example:

Person1: Atchoo! [sneezes]
Person2: Bless you. Are you alright?
Person1: It's nothing. I must've caught a bug (eg a cold or fluu) from walking in the rain yesterday.

So, a "travel bug" is an illness or a disease which compels the infected person with the desire to travel.

Please note that, although I have used words like "illness" and "disease" to describe it, the term "travel bug" itself does not have any negative connotations.

In fact, it is usually a positive thing to catch the travel bug.:up:
Yes, it's a metaphor from the literal meaning of catching of a 'bug'.

Status
Not open for further replies.