Can we say 'have a nice weekend' on Staurdays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Have a nice weekend' is often heard on Fridays. Is that OK to say it on Saturdays as well?

Gnome

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Denmark
Hello jiaruchan, I'm not a teacher, but I hope my advice helps!

A weekend is considered to be Saturday and Sunday in American culture, so it wouldn't be normal to wish someone a good weekend when they're already in the weekend. However, it is acceptable to say, "Have a good rest of the weekend!" Or you can say something else like it.

I hope this helps. :)

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello jiaruchan, I'm not a teacher, but I hope my advice helps!

A weekend is considered to be Saturday and Sunday in American culture, so it wouldn't be normal to wish someone a good weekend when they're already in the weekend. However, it is acceptable to say, "Have a good rest of the weekend!" Or you can say something else like it.

I hope this helps. :)

Thank you. Do you mean it is quite different from 'have a good day' said during the daytime when people are already there?

Gnome

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Denmark
Thank you. Do you mean it is quite different from 'have a good day' said during the daytime when people are already there?

I'm not a teacher.

Well, I suppose. That would depend on the circumstances. Let's say a group of students has just arrived at a camp for the weekend. It's Saturday morning, and the instructor wishes the group to have a good weekend. But if it's Saturday evening or night, it's not normal to wish someone a good weekend. Even in the middle of the week, I've heard people say "have a good rest of the week."

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm not a teacher.

Well, I suppose. That would depend on the circumstances. Let's say a group of students has just arrived at a camp for the weekend. It's Saturday morning, and the instructor wishes the group to have a good weekend. But if it's Saturday evening or night, it's not normal to wish someone a good weekend. Even in the middle of the week, I've heard people say "have a good rest of the week."

I see. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.