Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
What is the meaning of "run a bogus plate" in this sentence:

"Cops run those bogus plates,they’re gonna search that SUV​
from top to bottom."

It refers to people or things, i'v been searching for that for a while now.

Thanks a lot.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Bogus means sham, and plates are registration plates of vehicles.

I am not a teacher.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
What is the meaning of "run a bogus plate" in this sentence:

"Cops run those bogus plates,they’re gonna search that SUV​
from top to bottom."

It refers to people or things, i'v been searching for that for a while now.

Thanks a lot.

It means that the police are going to run (send the number through their computer) a fake license plate (one whose number won't match the car in question.) Once they see that the license plate isn't the correct one, they will be suspicious and will search the car "from top to bottom."

We hear the word "bogus" more and more frequently, it seems to me. A bogus $20 bill, for instance, would be a counterfeit piece of currency. But now I often hear teenagers say, simply, "That's so bogus." I'm not always exactly sure what they mean, but it seems to have to do with something they don't like or feel is a waste of their time. "That homework is so bogus."

Or they might say:
"Hey, dude, your mom says you've got to go home."
"That's bogus, man."

I don't like the way it's being used, but I guess we old-timers have to let the language evolve!

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Yes! me too, I've found it as "bad"

You know that's why I got it as he says:

"The cops who wear those f****** badges are entitled to search cars from top to bottom" :(

I think I got it totally wrong, I feel disapponted!

I haven't got what you mean by that "matching" thing. like they are driving their car and what exactly happened for the cops to decides they 'll pull them over?

Thanks.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Yes! me too, I've found it as "bad"

You know that's why I got it as he says:

"The cops who wear those f****** badges are entitled to search cars from top to bottom" :(

I think I got it totally wrong, I feel disapponted!

I haven't got what you mean by that "matching" thing. like they are driving their car and what exactly happened for the cops to decides they 'll pull them over?

Thanks.
By "matching" I mean that they will enter the number of the license plate into their computer which will then check it against all known license plates. If it doesn't "match" -- that is, show up as a legitimate license plate number (it might not come up at all or it might say it should be for a little Toyota) -- then they will know that it is not correct and that the car has been stolen or is being used for illegal activity.

We often use the the word "match" in regards to numbers. For instance, we might say, Does the amount of money I have given you match the amount that is written on the bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.