• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Perfect Infinitive with modal verbs

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to revise the usage of the Perfect Infinitive with modal vebs in the following sentences?

He must have finished his experiment.

It is possible that some of the products isolated may have resulted from the alkylation of others.

The only product isolated was 1’3-diphenilpyrazole, although the 1’5-isomer may also have been present.

The route may have been followed in reactions 4, 5, 6.

The third hydroxyl group originally present must have combined with the aldehyde group to form a lactol ring.

When an equimolecular mixture of the two was heated, product VII was found to be free from radioactivity after rigorous purification, i.e. the allylic group in VII must have been derived solely from VI.

They poiny out that the ester must have undergone acyloxygen fission.

The three phenylitungstic acids must have been polymeric.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Perfect Infinitive with modal verbs

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to revise the usage of the Perfect Infinitive with modal vebs in the following sentences?

It is possible that some of the products isolated may have resulted from the alkylation of others.

The only product isolated was 13-diphenilpyrazole, although the 15-isomer may also have been present.

The third hydroxyl group originally present must have combined with the aldehyde group to form a lactol ring.

When an equimolecular mixture of the two was heated, product VII was found to be free from radioactivity after rigorous purification, i.e. the allylic group in VII must have been derived solely from VI.

They poiny out that the ester must have undergone acyloxygen fission.

Regards,

V.
    This is the second post with lists of sentences that I have seen from you today. However, I think you may have the meaning of "revise" wrong. You have asked us to "revise" them.

If you revise for an exam, then you study very hard and try to learn everything you need to know for the exam.

However, if you ask someone to revise something for you, then you are asking them to change it (make revisions).

I believe that what you actually want us to do is "review" them - look over them and give an opinion as to whether they are right or wrong. Am I correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: Perfect Infinitive with modal verbs

Hi emsr2d2,

Thank you for your explicative words concerning the wrong usage of the verb “revise”. By the way, you are the second teacher of the present forum who sling bricks at me for this “transgression”.
    Come to that, it’s my profound conviction that you as well as your fellow-countryman are not correct.

There are a few synonyms of the verb in question:

revise:
    1. alter, amend, change, correct, edit, modify, recast, reconsider, reconstruct, reexame, review, rewrite, update
    2. memorise, study

At my area we take for granted that 1 is 1, and 2 is 2. As far as I remember Arabian people write and read backwards but they also adopt my viewpoint regarding the logical order. In my humble opinion the meaning of the first 13 synonyms take priority over the last two.

There are also the following synonyms of “review”:

1. evaluate, examine, inspect, judge, recapitulate, reconsider, reexamine, remember, revise, scrutinize, study

Here are two links concerning the meaning of “revise” and “correct”

revise: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com
    correct: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

You may look through the following link which will give you a right idea for interpretation of the meaning of the phrase “revising of a few sentences”

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...nces-11-a.html

When there is a will there is a way.

In the long run you are correct with your speculation that I actually want you to review the written sentences in my post and in case if you are able to give an opinion if they are right or wrong.

Thank you again for your kindness.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 04-Apr-2010 at 06:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: Perfect Infinitive with modal verbs

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

It is possible that some of the isolated products may have resulted from the alkylation of others.
    Can be revised to: It is possible that some of the isolated products may be the result of the alkylation of others.

The only product isolated was 1’3-diphenilpyrazole, although the 1’5-isomer may also have been present.

They point out that the ester must have undergone acyloxygen fission.

Regards,

V.
    To me all seem good descriptions of chemical action/reactions of specific experiments on different kinds of substances. I think no change is necessary.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 04-Apr-2010 at 06:07.