• Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

go bulldogs!

Hi everyone and happy Easter!
    I've read the phrase *Go Bulldogs!* in a book about tennis. The author writes it in brackets after telling about a player who was very good when he attended University of Georgia. I searched on the web and I didn't manage to understand whether *bulldogs* is a nickname only for students of that university or also for students that play in varsity team in general. Is there anyone who can help me? Thanks in advance!
    S

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: go bulldogs!

Quote Originally Posted by sonyet View Post
    I've read the phrase *Go Bulldogs!* in a book about tennis. The author writes it in brackets after telling about a player who was very good when he attended University of Georgia. I searched on the web and I didn't manage to understand whether *bulldogs* is a nickname only for students of that university or also for students that play in varsity team in general. Is there anyone who can help me? Thanks in advance!
    S
    Did you do a Google search for: Bulldogs Georgia ?

Anyhow here's a few links:
    Football - News - Official Athletics Site of the University of Georgia Bulldogs
    Georgia Bulldogs football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at the names of some of the teams they play against, you'll see that those other teams are not also called the Bulldogs.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

In the US, virtually every college and university has a mascot/team name.

I didn't even need to read the part in your post that told me he went to Georgia -- I knew that when I saw the title of your post.

If I read "Go Wolverines" I'd know it was Michigan. "Go Buckeyes" means you are cheering for the University of Ohio.

Some are more fierce sounding than others. Sadly, my own university was "the Engineers." Nothing is quite so rousing as shouting "Let's go, Engineers." I wondered if the other teams thought we would throw our calculators and slide rules at them.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonyet View Post
    S
    Yes, the bulldog is the mascot of the team. Hence, we call the team (not the students individually) the Bulldogs. In fact, most if not all of their sports teams would share this nickhame.

As it so happens, a team with the nickname Bulldogs is will be playing in the championship game of the college basketball tournament Monday Night -- and it's not Georgia. It's a team from the little school of Butler, the smallest school ever to make it to the championship game.

Yes, indeed. Go Bulldogs!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know Butler was also a Bulldogs school. I think for now, we'll just call them "Cinderella" :)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

• Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: go bulldogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Sadly, my own university was "the Engineers." Nothing is quite so rousing as shouting "Let's go, Engineers." I wondered if the other teams thought we would throw our calculators and slide rules at them.
    I apologize for this off-topic comment, but that's great, that's really good!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody for your help!