Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello,

I'm looking for a more colloquial / informal way to say that someone's got 'broad shoulders' or that someone's backside is 'as broad as a barn door'.
The term or phrase should not distinguish between a well-built physique and an untrained one. So it should just refer to how extremely wide someone's back is.

Let's say you are sitting in a Café and a man with a very wide back goes by your table. Amazed about that guy's appearance you turn to your partner and say something like, "Gosh, that guy's back is as broad as a barn door!"

Can you think of any other things one could say?

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I'm looking for a more colloquial / informal way to say that someone's got 'broad shoulders' or that someone's backside is 'as broad as a barn door'.
The term or phrase should not distinguish between a well-built physique and an untrained one. So it should just refer to how extremely wide someone's back is.

Let's say you are sitting in a Café and a man with a very wide back goes by your table. Amazed about that guy's appearance you turn to your partner and say something like, "Gosh, that guy's back is as broad as a barn door!"

Can you think of any other things one could say?

Thanks.
Be aware that 'backside' means buttocks, butt, bottom, derriere.
It doesn't mean back. A large backside is a fat arse (ass if you're American).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is also an idiomatic meaning to broad shoulders. It means the person can carry a big burden, but a metaphorical one, not a physical one.

Shenfeng

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Oh, I mean back, not backside.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.