hey i from israel and live in the u.s.
before the question, i must say that this is a wonderfull country,i enjoy my journey here,and about to finish it when i will travel in the 50th state (been to 46 so far)this is the real america explorering the gift from g-d.
my english is ok but my problem is that i understand better then i speak,i am trying to find the way to be a better speaker talk smoothly influant english on what should i practice to be a great speaker? thank you
I have read recently a book on linguistics which states children learn first how to "understand English" and later how to "produce English." An interesting example from the book is:
Father: What is the name of the dog at your school?
Child: No, Way.
Father: Did you say Way?
Child: No. (Angrily) I said WAY!
Father: (Suddenly catching on) Oh, you mean Ray?
Child: Yes, that's what I said - Way!
(From Linguistcs for Non-Linguistics by F. Parker and K. Riley)
The example is from first language acquisition but I guess it extends to L2 learning.
As I said, you are already on the right way, I can advise you:
- Try to read texts aloud.
- Try to give speeches and lectures.
- Try to talk as much as you can.
- Try also producing written texts (for instance try to post small texts in UsingEnglish and ask people to "correct" them)
- Try to write as much as you can.
- Try to record your own voice and listen to it.
- Practice specific speaking drills from ESL methods.
- Look for professional help, English teachers, phonoaudiologists, etc.
PS Not a native speaker