Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello,

I found these meaning for the two words. So I am wondering if the difference is about how the person enters the foreign country?

1. Refugee :A person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution.

2. An asylum seeker: a person who applie to live in a forein country because they are trying to escape political or religious persecution.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I found these meaning for the two words. So I am wondering if the difference is about how the person enters the foreign country?

1. Refugee :A person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution.

2. An asylum seeker: a person who applie to live in a forein country because they are trying to escape political or religious persecution.
It's not really about the method of entry, it's about the intention to stay permanently or not. An asylum seeker is someone who wants to stay permanently in the host country, a refugee may intend to return home when it's safe to do so.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It's not really about the method of entry, it's about the intention to stay permanently or not. An asylum seeker is someone who wants to stay permanently in the host country, a refugee may intend to return home when it's safe to do so.

I do not think the difference lies in the intention to stay permanently in the host country or not. It has more to do with the reason for seeking refuge. Refugees usually leave for political or economic reasons whereas asylum seekers tries to escape victimization by the government. You find that refugees who have settled in the host country hardly return to their country of origin.

Also, refugees leave in large number for a common purpose e.g. the Vietnamese refugees(boat people) in the mid 70's left their country to escape the Communist government or the Bosnian refugees who escaped from the Serbs in the 90's. Asylum seekers are individual cases e.g. former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin who sought asylum in England from persecution by government in power.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK at least, an asylum seeker is someone whose application for asylum is still under consideration. If that application is successful, they then become a recognised refugee.

As a more general term, though, refugee would mean someone who has had to flee their own country for any of a multitude of reasons, rather than having chosen to emigrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.