Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

She listened open-mouthed to every word I said.

open-mouthed = gaping in astonishment or wonder

I, who was never at a loss for words, suddenly could not find my tongue.

at a loss for words = unable or uncertain as to what to say

“And will you-go away-to have it?” said Jonathan, his words sticking in his throat.

stick in one’s throat = if something sticks in your throat, you find it unacceptable.

Jenny reach out and touched her arm. “Honey, I’m sorry now that I did say it,” Jenny told her, coming closer an patting her arm, “because I didn’t mean to upset you like this, I’m always saying things that pop into my head, and then being sorry afterward.”

You weighed the pros and cons, made a secision, and for better or worse, took action.

pros and cons = arguments or considerations for and against something

I know what is being said about me and you can take my side or theirs, that’s your own business.

on someone’s side = in support of someone's views or interests

I don’t parade my opinion.

parade = display proudly; act ostentatiously or pretentiously

“There’s something I want to speak to you about’, Hutch said. “Can you meet me tomorrow morning at eleven in front of the Seagram Building?”

“I’d like you to drop by my office one afternoon this week so we can go into all this in detail…What day shall we make it? Tuesday, Wednesday?”

drop by my office = drop in my office

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I, who was never at a loss for words, suddenly could not find my tongue.
The 'who was' makes the sequence of events a little odd- how about dropping the verb and using 'normally not/seldom at a loss for words'?

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.