• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • American Samoa
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Who vs that vs which + Capitlization

Should I use 'who' or 'that' when I referring to special legislative committees () as in the sentence below?

Should I also capitalize 'Committee' in the 2nd sentence because 'Health Committee' is the name of the committee?

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee that oversaw the new banking regulations passed a bill today.

OR

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee who oversaw the new banking regulations passed a bill today.

OR

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee which oversaw the new banking regulations passed a bill today.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 08-Apr-2010 at 02:41.

Re: Who vs that vs which + Capitlization

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Should I use 'who' or 'that' when I referring to special legislative committees () as in the sentence below?

Should I also capitalize 'Committee' in the 2nd sentence because 'Health Committee' is the name of the committee?

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee that oversaw the new banking regulations passed a bill today.

OR

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee who oversaw the new banking regulations passed a bill today.

OR

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee which oversaw the new banking regulations passed a bill today.
    Good evening, Ulysses! I would use "that." Some people still may use "which," but I tend to agree with Grammar Girl, who explains the difference here.

I see that you use the word "oversaw." I have no problem with "oversees" but the past form seems awkward to me. I would rearrange it to say "the Committee that had oversight over..." Come to think of it, that might appear grammatically dubious, but I do believe it is a common expression.

Thanks for bringing it up. I'm sure that translating from Klingon can be a challenge!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • American Samoa
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: Who vs that vs which + Capitlization

Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    Good evening, Ulysses! I would use "that." Some people still may use "which," but I tend to agree with Grammar Girl, who explains the difference here.

I see that you use the word "oversaw." I have no problem with "oversees" but the past form seems awkward to me. I would rearrange it to say "the Committee that had oversight over..." Come to think of it, that might appear grammatically dubious, but I do believe it is a common expression.

Thanks for bringing it up. I'm sure that translating from Klingon can be a challenge!
    Thanks! My mistake, I was apparently too drunk after celebrating our victory over the Vulcans yesterday. I think I was actually thinking something without 'a bill' now so along the lines of:

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee that oversaw the new banking regulations passed today.

OR

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee who oversaw the new banking regulations passed today.

OR

The Health Committee was happy today. This was the Committee which oversaw the new banking regulations passed today.