• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

"To fancy someone","to have a crush on someone"

Is this statement true about this two phrases?

If you fancy someone , you want to start a romantic relationship with them. If it's totally unrealistic like when a teenager has romantic feelings toward a much older person, then you can say to have a crush on someone.

Re: "To fancy someone","to have a crush on someone"

Yes that's correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: "To fancy someone","to have a crush on someone"

Quote Originally Posted by maral55 View Post
    Is this statement true about this two phrases?

If you fancy someone , you want to start a romantic relationship with them. If it's totally unrealistic like when a teenager has romantic feelings toward a much older person, then you can say to have a crush on someone.
    If you fancy someone, you like or admire him or her. You also enjoy the person or his/her company. It can also mean: to be physically/emotionally attracted to someone
    On the other hand, a crush is a word used to describe special feelings you have for another person, a classmate, or friend that you really like.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

I always thought having a crush on someone just means that you are greatly in love with that person , never knew about him being much older?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by maral55 View Post
    I always thought having a crush on someone just means that you are greatly in love with that person , never knew about him being much older?
    In British English, it has nothing to do with age. If you have a crush on someone, it usually means that you have exceptionally strong romantic feelings for them and would really like to have a relationship with them. In many cases, the recipient is totally unaware of your feelings.

I would say that the 2 things mean almost the same, but "to fancy" simply means that you like how they look more than anything else. "A crush" is a little more than just fancying.

For example:

I fancy Brad Pitt (!) - This means I think he is very handsome.

I have a crush on one of my friends - He is a friend, but in addition, I really like him and would like to have a relationship with him.