• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Red face How can I improve in english grrrrammar

Hi teachers and learners,

I really would like to improve my English grammar, sometimes I write book reviews and short stories but due to my weak skills in grammar it puts me down and makes some of my writing senseless.

How do I become better in my writing expressions? Is it by writing regularly?

I think that I am writing with good sentence structure, but really I am not. How do I improve my sentence structure? Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mody

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How can I improve in english grrrrammar

Quote Originally Posted by MODY View Post
    Hi teachers and learners,

I really would like to improve my English grammar, sometimes I write book reviews and short stories but due to my weak skills in grammar it puts me down and makes some of my writing senseless.

How do I become better in my writing expressions? Is it by writing regularly?

I think that I am writing with good sentence structure, but really I am not. How do I improve my sentence structure? Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mody
    My first suggestion is to read more. You will pick up a lot of useful information by reading anything written by a good native English speaker. Studying grammar is great for the all the basics, but from your post it is clear that you already have a pretty good grasp.

If you have specific questions about a particular sentence, you can post it here and ask for advice or corrections too.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thank-you very much.That's awesome.

Thanks, very helpful

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    My first suggestion is to read more. You will pick up a lot of useful information by reading anything written by a good native English speaker. Studying grammar is great for the all the basics, but from your post it is clear that you already have a pretty good grasp.

If you have specific questions about a particular sentence, you can post it here and ask for advice or corrections too.
    Reading your post I have seen that you wrote: native English speaker.
    I am afraid that I am constantly using English native speaker .
    The use of adjectives order is always a kind of ninghtmare. I have learned that the correct order would be:opinion, size, colour, origin, material, purpose. Thus, Old big green Spanish wooden cooking table. (How do you label "native"?)
    Some dictionaries solve the question by saying: native speakers of English. Nice!. I have also found Native American - Cambridge Dictionary - where American is taken as a noun, I believe.

Would you please clarify this for me?

Thank you very much

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by ratóncolorao View Post
    Reading your post I have seen that you wrote: native English speaker.
    I am afraid that I am constantly using English native speaker .
    The use of adjectives order is always a kind of ninghtmare. I have learned that the correct order would be:opinion, size, colour, origin, material, purpose. Thus, Old big green Spanish wooden cooking table. (How do you label "native"?)
    Some dictionaries solve the question by saying: native speakers of English. Nice!. I have also found Native American - Cambridge Dictionary - where American is taken as a noun, I believe.

Would you please clarify this for me?

Thank you very much
    I can't say I'd ever considered the order of those words in that sentence. I describe myself as a "native English speaker" so often that it has never occurred to me.

In that sentence, English is not an adjective. It's a noun - the English language, therefore the adjective comes before it.

To me, if I said "I'm an English native speaker", the word English would sound like a nationality, not a language. Therefore I would be describing myself as someone from England, who is a native speaker. However, you cannot be a native speaker without specifying the language.

The most important part of it is "English speaker" which acts like a single noun, so I would consider any other adjective in that sentence to be descriptive of that noun and therefore to come before it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I can't say I'd ever considered the order of those words in that sentence. I describe myself as a "native English speaker" so often that it has never occurred to me.

In that sentence, English is not an adjective. It's a noun - the English language, therefore the adjective comes before it.

To me, if I said "I'm an English native speaker", the word English would sound like a nationality, not a language. Therefore I would be describing myself as someone from England, who is a native speaker. However, you cannot be a native speaker without specifying the language.

The most important part of it is "English speaker" which acts like a single noun, so I would consider any other adjective in that sentence to be descriptive of that noun and therefore to come before it.
    Yes, much easier now. I had not thought of English as an noun. As it goes with language I took for granted that it was an adjective that, of course, was refering to the country and modifying the noun speaker.
    Besides, other example comes to my mind : beautiful English language which would be similar to native English language, wouldn't it?

Thank you very much
    Last edited by ratóncolorao; 09-Apr-2010 at 14:20.