guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
dear teacher: could you explain the meaning of the present tense in the following two pairs of sentence, please?

1. Now he finds the treasure/Now he wins the race.
  2. Now he has found it/at this moment he has won the race.
my question is: is there any difference between these two pairs of sentense with respect to the indication of time of action?
thank you very much

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
dear teacher: could you explain the meaning of the present tense in the following two pairs of sentence, please?

1. Now he finds the treasure/Now he wins the race.
  2. Now he has found it/at this moment he has won the race.
my question is: is there any difference between these two pairs of sentense with respect to the indication of time of action?
thank you very much
The sentences at #1 are very unlikely, unless you are a commentator reporting what you see.

simon b

Member Type
Academic
(I am not a teacher. English is my main language.)

There is no difference in the indication of time between your sentences.
The second pair of sentences is more likely to be used.

The present tense refers to actions that are habits or things you do everyday. In this reguard your sentences are not in the present tense.

An example: 'I go to school everyday.'

You are more likely to use the 'present progressive' tense in these situations. The 'present progressive' tense is more commonly used than the present tense. It indicates that something is happening at the same time that it is being said. The ending added in the present progressive tense is typically -ing.

That would change your sentence to:
He is winning the race.

The other sentence would sound best in the present perfect tense. Which means the action was finished in the past but it still has connections to the present. It is written with 'has/had + a past form of the verb'
Making your sentence:
He has found the treasure.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ditto bhaisahab. You would not use/hear any of these examples in everyday conversation unless someone was relating a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.