Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 22
    #1

    Red face comma between the adjs makes me confused

    hello members

    i hope to find an answer to my Q

    i noticed that sometimes we tend to put commas between the adjectives when they follow each other when they describe one noun ,, and sometimes i found nothing in between

    so does anyone now the rule for that

    best wishes

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #2

    Exclamation Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    Quote Originally Posted by manar222 View Post
    hello members

    i hope to find an answer to my Q

    i noticed that sometimes we tend to put commas between the adjectives when they follow each other when they describe one noun ,, and sometimes i found nothing in between

    so does anyone now the rule for that

    best wishes
    Welcome to the forum.
    You do not need ‘comma’ between adjectives when a noun is preceded by many different type of attributive adjectives. In the following example, the attributive adjectives are underlined.
    e.g. Two large red cardboard milk cartons.
    In this example, two is a cardinal number, large is an adjective indicating size, red is an adjective indicating color, cardboard is an adjective indicating a type of material, and milk is a defining adjective indicating purpose.

    However, when you use more than two predicate adjective, a comma is necessary after the first and the last being joined by conjunction ‘and’.. as:
    The weather is clear, cold and dry.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 22
    #3

    Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    hiiiii sarat thanx a lot for ur welcoming me and fro ur resopnse also

    but how about if i want to say

    clear , cold and dry weather

    is that ok ?

    another thing what is "the predicate adjective"

    and again thanx a lot ur reply is so sufficient

    best of luck
    Last edited by manar222; 09-Apr-2010 at 12:08.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #4

    Exclamation Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    Quote Originally Posted by manar222 View Post
    hiiiii sarat thanx a lot for ur welcoming me and fro ur resopnse also

    but how about if i want to say

    clear , cold and dry weather

    is that ok ?

    another thing what is "the predicate adjective"

    and again thanx a lot ur reply is so sufficient

    best of luck
    No. you can not use that way, because the adjectives clear, cold and dry are preceded by a noun ‘weather’. There should be no comma.
    However, please note that since ‘weather’ is a singular noun the adjectives can be combined as one word by the use of hyphens.
    e.g. a three-month-old baby
    a ninety-dollar jacket
    a dry-cold-clear weather

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 22
    #5

    Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    aha thanx sarat


    got it

    best wishes

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #6

    Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    You do not need ‘comma’ between adjectives when a noun is preceded by many different type of attributive adjectives. In the following example, the attributive adjectives are underlined.
    e.g. Two large red cardboard milk cartons.
    In this example, two is a cardinal number, large is an adjective indicating size, red is an adjective indicating color, cardboard is an adjective indicating a type of material, and milk is a defining adjective indicating purpose.

    However, when you use more than two predicate adjective, a comma is necessary after the first and the last being joined by conjunction ‘and’.. as:
    The weather is clear, cold and dry.
    I appear to have come rather late to this thread! Not too late, I hope. Commas are used between each adjective until you reach the last one.

    With your first sentence, it should read:

    Two large, red, cardboard milk cartons = There are two milk cartons and they are large, red and made of cardboard.

    With your second sentence:

    The weather is clear, cold and dry.

    This is correct. You have three separate adjectives all following the verb "to be", therefore the first two are separated by a comma and the second and third are joined by the word "and".

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #7

    Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    No. you can not use that way, because the adjectives clear, cold and dry are preceded by a noun ‘weather’. There should be no comma.
    However, please note that since ‘weather’ is a singular noun the adjectives can be combined as one word by the use of hyphens.
    e.g. a three-month-old baby
    a ninety-dollar jacket
    a dry-cold-clear weather
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with your third example. Weather does not take the indefinite article, it is simply "weather", and you cannot join these three adjectives together with hyphens!

    We are having dry, cold, clear weather.

    OR

    The weather is dry, cold and clear.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,216
    #8

    Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    a dry-cold-clear weather
    I'm sorry, but I need to point out that this is entirely wrong.

    You can say "a clear, cold, dry day."
    You can say "the clear, cold, dry weather."
    You cannot say "a dry-cold-clear weather."


    Generally, I use commas BEFORE the noun when the adjectives are of the same type. That is, both clear and cold give qualities of the day, but not is size, color, shape, material, or number. When I use a series of adjectives that all describe a different aspect of the object, I usually omit the commas.

    That is, "a big red wooden box" wouldn't have commas for me because those words describe, respectively, size, color, and material. However, "a soft, cuddly stuffed animal" would have a comma because "soft" and "cuddly" both describe how the animal feels -- the same aspect of the description.

    When the adjectives come AFTER the noun, they get commas. The box was big, red, and wooden.


    EDIT: I see I was objecting at the same time as the poster above -- I just took longer to get there! Sorry to be redundant.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 22
    #9

    Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    emsr

    ummm , so when we can put commas in between and when we can't do so

    in ur examples u put commas between the adjectives that come after the noun and before the noun

    i'm confused

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 22
    #10

    Re: comma between the adjs makes me confused

    bar

    in this sentence "a soft, cuddly stuffed animal"

    why don't u put " and " or a comma between " cuddly and stuffed " since they r adjectives

    best of luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. comma before too
    By Nightmare85 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2010, 18:24
  2. [Grammar] Comma semantics
    By APoeticTurtle in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-Jul-2009, 20:03
  3. [Grammar] Q regarding usage of comma
    By vcolts in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Jul-2009, 20:06
  4. comma and grammar questions...
    By pinkwarrior235 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2008, 21:59
  5. comma and capitalization questions...
    By pinkwarrior235 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2008, 18:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •