1. Student X

Question will and will be -ing

In my grammar book, it states the form ("will be + -ing") can be used to indicate future tense. For example:
    "The school will be starting soon."

I read the explanation already, but I still cannot make out the difference betwee it and "The school will start soon." Could you give me a hand, please? :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: will and will be -ing

Quote Originally Posted by Student X View Post
    In my grammar book, it states the form ("will be + -ing") can be used to indicate future tense. For example:

I read the explanation already, but I still cannot make out the difference betwee it and "The school will start soon." Could you give me a hand, please? :)
    There is no difference in meaning.
    The future progressive tense is used to indicate action which will be taking place at some time in the future, but it can at times be replaced by simple future(will) or simple future(be going to) and present progressive, all expressing a future action to take place after some time (here-soon.

The school will be starting soon.
    The school will start soon.".
    The school is going to start soon.
    The school is starting soon.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: will and will be -ing

Quote Originally Posted by Student X View Post

As your grammar book states, "will be + ing" can be used as the future tense. Consequently, there is no difference in meaning between:

School will start soon.
    School will be starting soon.

To add to the confusion, the present continuous can also be used to indicate the future, thus adding another possibility:

School is starting soon.